Cane Creek Reservoir (fwd)

Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 00:40:13 GMT
To: carolinabirds@duke.edu
From: lawoffice10@juno.com

Dear Carolinabirders:

I had an excellent afternoon of bird watching at Cane Creek Reservoir in
Orange County, NC today.  I saw 33 species, the most interesting of which
were an Acadian flycatcher, a white crowned sparrow, a solitary sandpiper and
some spotted sandpipers, two ospreys, and a great blue heron nesting in a
dead tree across the lake.  The staff told me that this is the first year
that a heron has nested at Cane Creek, and they are keeping a careful eye on
the nest.  The white crowned sparrow was a treat as the habitat that they
usually winter in at Cane Creek was cleared last year, and I had not seen one
this year. The staff also told me that the bald eagles that nest on the other
end of the lake have started coming to the public area early in the morning
on days that the lake is not open to the public.  They think the birds have
figured out the schedule and come when they'll have the most peaceful
mornings!  One more interesting sighting was of the barn and cliff swallows
gather! ing mud for the nests that they build every year on a pier by the
dam.

     Lucretia O. Kinney
     Chapel Hill, NC

Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu
Box 90340, Biology Dept., Duke Univ., Durham, NC 27708