WAS birdathon

Hi Carolinabirders and WAS board,

Beginning Tuesday April 29 at 6 PM and ending at 6 PM on Wednesday April
30, Bill Lanham, Paul Rogers and myself participated in the annual
Waccamaw Audubon Society birdathon.  We changed our team name this year
to the CLUELESS WANDERING TATTLERS. We tallied 92 species in the middle
of a migratory lull that was not conducive to high numbers.  Of course
we did miss some species we usually id-the three that come clearly to
mind are Tricolored Heron, Indigo Bunting and Blue Grosbeak. I could go
on but then I'd get depressed.
    Areas covered Tuesday evening were New Road and the Conway Sewage
Pond, Gary Phillips yard, and the area around Steve and Barbara Thomas'
house.
   On Wednesday, we birded at Myrtle Beach S.P. and Huntington Beach
S.P. We ended up with some cleanup work around the Waccamaw Middle
School off of Sandy Island Road and then over at South Litchfield for
some specialties. Here goes:

Pied-billed Grebe-1 north end of Sandpiper Pond
N. Gannet-good numbers close to shore
Brown Pelican
Great Blue Heron
Great Egret
Snowy Egret
Cattle Egret-I had given up on this species when we decided to cancel
Punchpole Landing because of the flooded road. However we found one in
the overflow parking area at HBSP
Green Heron-the only one was a flyby at the Conway Sewage Pond
Red-breasted Merganser at HBSP
Turkey Vulture
Osprey
Clapper Rail
Common Moorhen-two in the north end of Sandpiper Pond
Black-bellied Plover
Wilson's Plover-jetty area at HBSP
Killdeer-only at the Conway Sewage Pond
Am. Oystercatcher-HBSP
Greater Yellowlegs-HBSP
Solitary Sandpiper-one in the pond at MBSP
Spotted Sandpiper-near jetty rocks
Whimbrel-2 at the jetty pond HBSP
Ruddy Turnstone-only a few on the jetty at HBSP
Sanderling
Semipalmated Sandpiper-causeway marsh at HBSP
Least Sandpiper-causeway marsh at HBSP
Dunlin-causeway marsh at HBSP
Short-billed Dowitcher-causeway marsh at HBSP
Laughing Gull
Ring-billed Gull
Herring Gull
Royal Tern
Sandwich Tern
Forster's Tern
Least Tern
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Eurasian Collared -Dove-south Litchfield
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
E. Screech Owl-one well seen from the porch of the Thomas's
Chuck-will's-widow-one near west end of Hardwick Road
Chimney Swift
Ruby-throated Hummingbird-Gary's feeder and MBSP were it was nectoring
at honeysuckle
Belted Kingfisher
Red-headed Woodpecker-at Conway Sewage Pond and middle school
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Great Crested Flycatcher-the most common neo-trop found all day
E. Kingbird-HBSP carriage path and at middle school
Purple Martin-overhead in S. Litchfield many houses in area
Barn Swallow
Blue Jay
Am. Crow
Fish Crow
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch on the feeder at MBSP
Carolina Wren
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher
E. Bluebird-1 near the Waccamaw Middle School
Wood Thrush-heard only at MBSP
Am. Robin
Gray Catbird
N. Mockingbird
Brown Thrasher
Cedar Waxwing flocks at Gary's and at MBSP
Loggerhead Shrike-in the open area along dune area at MBSP and in the
open area of the overflow campground at south end of HBSP
European Starling
White-eyed Vireo-heard only at MBSP and HBSP
Red-eyed Vireo-heard only at MBSP and HBSP
N. Parula-heard only New Road, MBSP and HBSP
Black-throated Blue Warbler-male singing and briefly seen at HBSP
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Yellow-throated Warbler-heard only at New Road and HBSP
Pine Warbler-heard only at New Road and HBSP
Black and White Warbler-MBSP
Prothonotary Warbler-2 differend bird at MBSP
Waterthrush sp-heard only at New Road
Common Yellowthroat-1 male around pond at MBSP
Summer Tanager-heard at MBSP
N. Cardinal
Painted Bunting-HBSP
E. Towhee-heard singing near the middle school
Chipping Sparrow-Gary's yard
White-throated Sparrow-Gary's yard and feeder at MBSP
Red-winged Blackbird
Boat-tailed Grackle
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird-Gary's house and near the middle school
Orchard Oriole-male seen at MBSP
House Finch
House Sparrow-in South Litchfield

Good birds that were around that we missed were the Rose-breasted
Grosbeak that Phil Turner had at MBSP and the Purple Sandpiper and
Piping Plover that Steve Roff had at HBSP

Still an enjoyable day in the field with good company

Jack Peachey
Conway, SC