inexpensive binoculars

I have a daughter on the west coast looking for a pair of binoculars for occasional bird and whale watching use. I remember someone posted that the Burgess Binoculars (http://burgessoptical.com/) were a very high quality for the price. Does anyone else have a recommendation for good quality optics for around $100? I have not had a chance to look at the Burgess, and a lot of the <$100 binoculars I have looked at were really not very good.
To add some bird related content, I still haven't seen any Rose-breasted Grossbeaks in my area (just south of Hillsborough) though we have had them as yard birds the last few years.

--
David F. Curtin
David_Curtin@unc.edu