Wake Audubon events in May

Howdy!

Funny, when I saw Jack's WAS Birdathon e-mail yesterday, I couldn't
remember talking with someone named Jack about the Wake Audubon
Birdathon. Well, there are two Carolina Audubon groups with the same
acronyms!
Joe and I will be birding with Lena tomorrow for the Wake Audubon
Birdathon/Wildathon. Our focus is BIRDS! Below you'll see the Wake
Audubon events for May. Happy birding!

Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC
Wake Audubon Society
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net

May Program

Please join us on Tuesday, May 13, to hear NC Museum of Natural Sciences
curator Wayne Starnes take us underwater in North Carolina streams and
rivers to teach us about fish populations. His talk is entitled, "North
Carolina Fishes: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly." The meeting will be
held at 7:30 p.m. in the A-level conference room of the North
Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences at 11 West Jones Street in Raleigh.

Wake Audubon 2003 Birdathon/Wildathon April 20 - May 19

Spring has arrived, so it's time for Wake Audubon's annual fundraiser.
Plan where your team will go to count birds, wildflowers, butterflies,
reptiles, amphibians,
and/or insects. Choose any date between April 20-May 19 that is good for
you and/or your team, then start counting, for up to a 24-hour period!
You may travel to the coast, mountains, stay in the Piedmont, or count
birds at your feeders to participate. Money raised will benefit Audubon
North Carolina Coastal Island Sanctuaries and local Wake Audubon
projects. Ask friends, coworkers, and businesses for donations or make a
personal donation, chickadeebirders@earthlink.net.

Saturday, May 3: Bagels and Birdwalk on the Buckeye. We meet on the
first Saturday of each month at 8:30 a.m. at the Greenway parking area
on Crabtree Boulevard, between Capital Boulevard and Raleigh Boulevard,
(832-4128).

Saturday, May 10: International Migratory Bird Day (IMBD). Wake Audubon
will participate with teams of birders counting birds in Wake County.
Since its creation in 1993 by the Smithsonian and the Cornell Laboratory
of Ornithology, IMBD has sought to focus attention on bird migrations
between North and South America. Now sponsored by the U.S. Fish and
Wildlife Service, IMBD is celebrated with bird festivals and educational
programs in the United States, Mexico, and Canada.
http://birds.fws.gov/imbd or (755-0253) for local information.

Saturday, May 17: Anderson Point Avian Adventures. Meet at 8:30 a.m.
in the parking lot at Anderson Point Park on the third Saturday of each
month. Highway 64 E from the Beltline two miles. Turn right on Rogers
Lane; the parking lot is at the end of the street, (881-2601).