Black-billed cuckoo, Golden-wings, Bobolinks

Greetings from Alleghany county.

The Black-billed cuckoo was on Saturday at Alleghany Access to New River
State Park during our annual Blue Ridge Birder warbler walk.  Had some
trouble with the ID but was able to get the bird in the scope and see the
black lower bill and the red orbital ring.  Bird also called once.  Several
of the group got good looks in the scope.  Later, I left the group to help a
couple of people with a lifer Prairie warbler and the group saw two more
Black-billed cuckoos.

Also had at least one Golden-winged warbler singing at this location.
Alleghany Access to NRSP is a reliable location for this species.

Today, I had another Golden-wing near my work location just south of Sparta.
This is the second year that the Golden-wing has been at this location.

The Bobolinks were at two locations in Alleghany county.  One singing male
and one female north of Sparta at Pleasant Home Church and two more males
and one female about a mile east of that location on Osee Road.  Lots of
singing Savannah sparrows were also at this location.  This is the third
year that Bobolinks have been at the Osee Road location.

Harrol Blevins
On the New River at the NC/VA border
kestrel@valink.com