Opening the Curtain of Nature's Grand Show

I drove about 26 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway from the French Broad
River near Asheville, NC to the Devil's Courthouse parking area stopping
off at Black Balsam trailhead to get some target birds: Alder
Flycatcher, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Veery, and Peregrine Falcon.

At the Devil's Courthouse parking area, I set up my scope and sat on my
front bumper to spend some time with what I hoped would be one or more
Peregrine Falcons.  A family with inquisitive youngsters wondered what I
was looking at, so I let them get a peek at a nearly full grown
Peregrine Falcon.

"Its the fastest hawk in North Carolina," I opined recklessly hoping I
was right.  I had heard somewhere that in a stoop they approached 200
MPH.  Then I told them that the shape of falcons had inspired the early
designers of fighter jets with their swept back wings and all. The
parents were very appreciative that there children where able to see
such an exotic bird.  Something that they hadn't even considered that
they might see, and enriching their day (I hope).

Moral of story:  It does hurt to be patient with inquistive nonbirders.
You might be planting a seed of interest in someone as they discover
something about the wonders of nature.

Regards,
John Lindfors