Continuing the phoebes' story

On April 3, 2003, I wrote asking for information about the habits to be
expected from phoebes building a nest atop our front porch light fixture. I
promised to update the list later on the success of the nesting. The babies
hatched on May 19-or perhaps a day earlier. I am pleased to announce the
departure from the nest of six young phoebes this morning-in spite of
several heavy downpours of rain!
I have thoroughly enjoyed observing the determined efforts of the mother in
the building of the nest, and the caring for the babies by both parents.
Fortunately, the nest was only about 5 feet away from the window and I could
watch the activities easily.
Now I look forward to watching the babies learn to care for themselves, and
wonder when another nest full of eggs will be the promise of more babies to
come from these diligent parents. After this season's use of the light
fixture, hopefully the pair will start next year's nesting season on a
nesting shelf  I hope to put up soon.

Shelia Welch
Campobello, SC