trees - a scarce commodity (can be a good thing!)

Folks,

Out here on the prairies, small patches of trees are hard to come by and are usually scattered within coulees (what we easterners call a holler). At the Des Lacs bunkhouse, we've reaped the benefits of being surrounded by stands of willow, choke cherry, and juneberry. Earlier we were blessed with various migrant songbirds including Rose-breasted Grosbeaks, Northern Orioles, Blackpoll Warblers, and Orange-crowned Warblers. More recently, we've had some raptors take up residence within a stone's throw of the house. A Cooper's Hawk was found a couple weeks back, interestingly enough nesting 10 yards down from a Mallard that decided against nesting on the ground. Her nest was an old Coops nest that was 20 feet up! Just yesterday I saw my lifer Long-eared Owl behind the house. There are at least 3 owlets and likely more. The adult gave great looks from 20 feet away.

FYI...the project I'm helping coordinate out here is a study of the impact of cattle grazing and fire regimes on breeding grassland birds. The species of focus include Bobolink, Savannah Sparrow (hell to find the nest, but I'm winning), Clay-colored Sparrow, Western Meadowlark, Upland Sandpiper, and nesting dabbling duck species. Fire is used initially when restoration begins on a tract, with grazing implemented shortly thereafter. About 70 cows are kept on a 150 acre tract for 2 weeks and then rotated...makes for crappy boots while dragging the 20 foot rope to flush birds :).

Sure is good to be able to follow the sightings back home...keep em comin'...what would we do without the net?

Eric Harrold
Kenmare, ND