Mississippi Kite "Nest" found in Greenville, NC

Carolinabirders,

After seeing Mississippi Kites here in Greenville for several weeks I
suspected they were nesting in the area.  Today I got two phone calls from
my good birding friend Ken Harrell, who also lives in Greenville.  The first
phone call was to inform me that two Mississippi Kites had apparently chosen
to roost in a large Pecan tree which shades his back yard.  The second phone
call came about an hour later.  Ken informed me that the two kites were
fluttering around in the tree, and were bringing in sticks.  Also, there was
a third kite in attendance.  Late this afternoon Paula and I went over to
take a look.  There are indeed three Mississippi Kites.  Two are adults and
one is a 1st Summer bird (end of its first year).  Assuming that these birds
complete the nest and raise a family, Ken and I will be keeping up with
events.  I have no idea what involvement the younger bird may have in all
this.

The nest tree is a very large, very tall Pecan, which is taller than the
surrounding trees in this suburban-type neighborhood less than a mile from
the Tar River.  To see the tree without disturbing the birds, follow 10th
Street to its intersection with Brownlea.  A Papa John's Pizza place is at
this corner.  Turn onto Brownlea and follow it for a few hundred yards until
it ends.  Straight ahead is a red-and-white barracade which separates the
street from a grassy "commons" area.  From the area of the barracade you
should be able to see the Pecan tree about 150 yards ahead on the left edge
of the grassy area.  You should not approach any closer than this.

Ken Harrell feeds his yard birds, and has had good birds in his backyard on
several occasions, including Western Tanager in winter.  How he lucked up
with Mississippi Kite I do not know.  I am envious.

John

John and Paula Wright
1953-A Quail Ridge Rd
Greenville, NC 27858