Re: More on Eurasian versus Ringed

I just switched the Ringed Turtle-Dove photo to one without the tag obscuring
part of the tail - see http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook/museumbirds.html

You can more clearly see that both the undertail coverts and outer webs of
the retrices (tail feathers) are whitish.  As I understand it, Eurasian
Collared-Dove is very similar to wild-type Ringed Turtle-Dove but has darker
gray undertail coverts and blackish outer webs, extending a little past the
black band on the inner webs.

--
Charles W. "Will" Cook                  w 919-660-7423
http://www.duke.edu/~cwcook            cwcook@duke.edu