hawks and cute bird joke

Howdy!

Joe and I saw the Cooper's Hawks at their nest site on the NCSU campus
in Raleigh Saturday. The kids are still sitting in the nest quite a bit
apparently, but they're also flying out and perching close by. We saw
Mom bring in food once, plus, Dad flew over us and perched on a nearby
tree limb.

Occasionally I see a Cooper's Hawk in our neighborhood and yard. Wonder
if there is a nest close by? Last week I looked outside the kitchen and
was surprised to see a male perched on top of the bluebird box. He was
just as a surprised to see me, and flew off!

A birding friend from Minnesota sent me this cute joke:

A married man had only one complaint: his wife was
always nursing sick birds. One February evening, he
came home to find a raven with a splint on its wing
sitting in his favorite chair. On the dining room
table, instead of dinner, there was a feverish eagle
pecking at an aspirin. In the kitchen, his wife was
comforting a shivering little wren she found out in
the snow.

The furious husband strode over to where his wife was
toweling down the cold little bird. "I can't take it
any more!  We've got to get rid of all of these #(@
birds!"

The wife held up her hand and cut him off in
mid-sentence. "Please, Dear, no cuss words in front of
the chilled wren."

Happy birding! Karen Bearden
Raleigh, NC
chickadeebirders@earthlink.net