Hellbender Trip Report

C-birders:

Our recent Hellbender trip in the NC mountains was "relatively" successful,
although we did not actually find any of these giant amphibians! (what an
admission!)

Here's a quote from the trip report off the Ventures Website, where there
are some very revealing photos!!

"The water was quite cold today and most of us decided not to swim in the
river in search of our quarry. We all waded into the cold waters of the
creek, but only Carlton and Tim decided to completely submerge! The water
level of the river was very high because of all of the rain this summer,
which meant that the Hellbenders had retreated to the deeper pools and hence
out of catching range! Despite all of our efforts, we did not manage to find
one. However, just spending the day out in the forest was wonderful and we
spent quite a bit of time botanizing, birding, and even looking at fungi.
The rhododendrons were in full bloom and it was a wonderful time to be out
in the woods."

Sometimes the quarry escapes.....maybe next year we will do better!

Until then, here's a few Ventures for the rest of 2003. Wildflowers are
usually easier to find!!

August 15    Botanising in the Blue Ridge, NC

August 30   Bird Directions and Tree Identification in the Blue Ridge, NC
September 26-28   Fall Migration at Huntington Beach, SC
October 4    Warblers at Ridge Junction Overlook, NC
December 2-16    Introduction to African Birding in The Gambia

Simon

PS: I ended up picking a large bag of chanterelles and had a great dinner!

Simon Thompson
Ventures Birding and Nature Tours
PO Box 1095
Skyland, NC 28776