Squirrel baffel question

I have a Mockernut Hickory (Carya ovata) and a Tuliptree (Liriodendron
tulipifera) near my dinning room window and they are great trees for my 3
suet feeders. I have had 6 species of woodpeckers feed from the feeders
attached to the trees...but the squirrels are eating most of the suet.  I
have considered wrapping some tin or sheet metal around the tree trucks to
keep the squirrels from climbing to the feeders. Has anyone ever tried
this??  How far off the ground should my baffles be??? How wide do the
baffles need to be??  Will this damage the trees?? The trunks and branches
are over 15 ft. from the house and other nearby trees so the risk of having
them jump to the trees should be minimal.
Thank You for your help.

David Williams
Johnston County
Clayton,  NC