MOMO this week

Greetings from Morrow Mountain State Park, Albemarle, Stanly County, North Carolina.

In 3.5 hours of volunteer birding, some with Ranger Ron Anundson, observed 24 bird species in the park, from 6:00-11:40 AM today, Friday, June 5th, 2003.

Near the front gate, 6:00 AM, I heard:
Whip-poor-will

Along Millertown Road, 7:10 AM, I added:
Killdeer
American Crow
Carolina Wren

At the boat ramp, 8:10 AM, I added:
Canada Goose
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Pileated Woodpecker
Blue Jay
Carolina Chickadee

With Ranger Ron Anundson, along the Fall Mountain Trail at the Lake Tillery shoreline, 8:10-11:30 AM, we added:
Great Blue Heron
Green Heron
Turkey Vulture
Red-shouldered Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Osprey - probably 6 seen over lake
Bald Eagle - 1 adult seen across lake near dam
Killdeer
Belted Kingfisher
Blue-headed Vireo
Tufted Titmouse
Bluegray Gnatcatcher
Eastern Bluebird
Brown-headed Cowbird

At the Lodge, 11:45 AM, Ron added:
White-breasted Nuthatch

Joseph Williams, MS Biology, Appalachian State University.
General Utility Worker, Morrow Mountain State Park, Division of Parks and Recreation, North Carolina Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

Get a FREE computer virus scan online from McAfee. http://clinic.mcafee.com/clinic/ibuy/campaign.asp?cid=3963