Flycatching Gull Comments

Hey Carolina Birders,

I felt certain I had watched gulls flycatching earlier this year.  When a
friend mentioned seeing a similar spectacle last week, I decided to ask
those on the list if that were possible.

I received seven responses and the consensus seems to be that gulls can and
do flycatch.  Two of the responses suggested the birds may have been after
some sort of fruit on the trees below.  While I'm sure that is highly
possible, I can tell you without doubt that the birds I watched never came
in contact with any of the trees over which they were foraging.  They stayed
several feet above the trees making occasional dips and turns much as you'd
expect to see swallows do as they forage overhead.  My friend that mentioned
the sight earlier said the birds she and her husband had seen were foraging
over a dune line.  Knowing the area she had spoken of, I know there are no
trees there at all.

Anyway, since all the responses had come directly to me, I assume no one on
the list had the chance to see the comments.  I've pasted them below
thinking they might be of interest to some.  Thanks so much for the
information!

Good Birding!
Ritch Lilly
Myrtle Beach (Horry County), SC
scbeachbums@hotmail.com

************************

I have seen flocks of Laughing Gulls hawking insects over agricultural
fields.  I guess they'll eat most anything that is available!

************************

Ring-billed Gulls are a "prairie gull" and often follow behind tractors and
do fly catch.

************************

Laughing Gulls catch insects in the air quite regularly.  On some occasions,
especially when cloudy and calm following rain, I have seen aggregations of
dozens or even hundreds of Laughing Gulls feeding like this.

************************

Yep, they're pretty amazing birds, those gulls are. During undergrad work at
Waites Island, the gulls moving thru in Sept and early Oct took advantage of
the insects there. Big ol' flycatchers, aren't they?

Merlins are pretty sporty flycatchers, too. I watched them on a daily basis
during that same time period at Waites snagging dragonflies. Very punctual,
too; an ad. male showed up at 4:30 p.m. every day and hunted 'til dusk.
Occasionally another would show, but Merlins are about like hummingbirds;
they don't like to share and don't play well with others.

************************

I have seen Ring-billed Gulls frequently catch emerging/lekking mayflies
(Insecta: Ephemeroptera) in northern Michigan in late July/early August.
The mayflies are quite large, though, and are easily noticeable to the naked
human eye. It would not surprise me that they would feed on smaller insects
as well, as long as those insects were fairly easy to catch and
energetically worthwhile.

************************

I have seen ring billed gulls do this before but they were hovering above
green brier vines and they would drop down onto the vines or hover over to
get the large berries that the vine produces.

Ring-billed Gulls have been known to hover over/into the fruiting tops of
certain bushes/shrubbery to eat the berries/seeds.  Supposed to be quite a
sight.  I have not seen the phenomenon, just read about it happening in
central FL (coastal).  Some observers have suggested (as you have) that they
were after attendant insect, but the consensus seems to be the
seeds/berries.