From: "Nathan Dias" <dias@frane.vortex4.net>
To: <carolinabirds@duke.edu>
Cc: <grackler@aol.com>
Sent: Sunday, September 28, 2003 5:38 PM
Subject: Sav. Spoil Site today (9-28)

> This morning I went on a field trip that the Charleston Natural History
Society took to the Savannah Spoil Site.  The trip was lead by Burton Moore
and Dennis Forsythe; Steve Calver facilitated and showed us around.

> Highlights:
>
> Eared Grebe - 1
> Roseate Spoonbill - 1 (2nd year bird)
> Wilson's Phalarope - 8
> FRANKLIN'S GULL!!! - 1
> Am. Avocets - couple of hundred
> Black-necked Stilt - dozens
> White-rumped Sandpiper - 1
> Pectoral Sandpiper - 15-20
> Stilt Sandpiper - 3 or 4
> LOTS of peeps (mostly Least with some Western and Semi-p)
> Wood Storks - 15 or 20
> White Ibis - couple of dozen
> White Pelican - 1
> Long-billed Dowitchers - big flock
> SB Dowitchers - lots
> Lesser Yellowlegs - lots
> Greater Yellowlegs - couple dozen
>
> We got good scope looks at the Franklin's Gull sitting on the water and in
brief flight - Steve Calver first spotted the bird.  Steve also got some
digiscope pictures.  While we were watching the Franklin's Gull and Wilson's
Phalaropes, Burton Moore said "hey check out this grebe."  Bam - another
lifer for several folks.

> A lot of the shorebirds went unidentified due to distance and lighting
conditions.  A feral pig hunter/trapper came driving around the dikes and
told us he saw several of the "big pink birds" roosting in the trees across
the impoundment.  When we got over there, all we found was a single Roseate
Spoonbill with some Wood Storks and White Ibis.

> Burton and Ed Blitch and I went over to the Savannah NWR afterwards and
managed to scrounge up a Purple Gallinule in an otherwise vacant setting.