Sabine's Gull/"White" hummers/CBC Web Site

<<A Sabine's Gull appeared at Salem Lake (in Winston-Salem, NC) on Oct 2,
1976 and remained until Oct 6. It was seen by many observers, and a
photograph of the bird appeared on the cover of the Chat.  I happen to know
who the photographer was...I may try to track down a copy of the photo and
post it on the CBC web site.>>

The photographer was Wayne Irvin, and he sent me a jpeg of the Salem Lake
bird before I even asked him for it!  So, I have added it to the CBC Web
Site photo gallery.  Please go take a look:

www.carolinabirdclub.org

Click on the CBC Photo Gallery link.

It's truly a beautiful bird; I can only imagine how euphoric birders must've
been to see this Arctic wonder back in 1976.

While you're in the photo gallery, also take a peek at some "in-the-hand"
photos of leucistic and albino Ruby-throated Hummingbirds that Susan
Campbell banded this summer.

The web site also contains information on upcoming CBC special field trips
to Lake Mattamuskeet, Oklahoma, and Trinidad and also preliminary
information on the Beaufort, SC CBC meeting planned for Jan 30-Feb 1, 2004.

Although you have to be a CBC member to participate in the special field
trips, it's perfectly ok to join the CBC at the same time you register for
the field trip.

--
Russ Tyndall
CBC Web Site Editor