Egret/Heron in Hillsborough?!

OK, I'll admit my eyes aren't the best, but I was shocked at what I saw
while exiting at the Hillsborough exit (261) off of I-40 last evening around
6:30 PM. As I approached the exit, a large bluish-grey bird takes flight in
front of me and heads out over 40. The shape was distinctly that of a heron,
but I would not think they would be in this area. I'm probably just showing
my ignorance, but the bird was definitely in the egret/heron species. I
looked at a few photos, but couldn't determine exactly what I saw. Is it
possible for one of these birds to be so far inland away from a large body
of water? Thanks.

Regards,

Randy Dunson
Hillsborough  NC