S-A16-3/A7-3(3)/ND14 (0410) Secret From: Commandant Fourteenth Naval District To: Chief of Naval Operations. Subject: Air Defense of Pearl Harbor. Reference. (a) Correspondence between the Secretaries of War and Navy on this subject dated 24 January 1941 and 7 February 1941. Inclosures: (A) Copies of two joint letters HHD-14ND dated 14 February 1941,. (B) Annex No. VII to the Joint Coastal Frontier Defense Plan (JCD- 42). (C) Joint Estimate by Commander Hawaiian Air Force and Commander Naval Base Defense Air Force.
1. In connection with reference (a) there are enclosed herewith for your information copies of the principal directives issued in cooperation with the local Army authorities in accordance with which operation plans have been prepared, put into effect, and are in process of test and improvement, to provide for the joint defense of the Pearl Harbor Naval Base and ships of the Pacific Fleet in Hawaiian waters against surprise raids or air attacks.
2. Inclosure (A), two joint letters HHD-14ND dated 14 February 1941, initiated study by joint committees of Army and Navy officers of the joint problems of the defense which were mentioned in reference (a), and also included study of additional problems which were raised by the Commander-in-Chief, U. S. Pacific Fleet.
3. Inclosure (B), Annex No. VII of the Joint Coastal Frontier Defense Plan, is a new joint agreement with the local Army authorities which pertains to joint security measures. Section II in particular relates to joint air operations.
4. Inclosure (C), Joint Estimate by Commander Hawaiian Air Force and Commander Naval Base Defense Air Force, serves as the basis of joint air operation orders which have been issued, placed in effect, and are in process of test, with a view to improvement in their effectiveness.
5. It is hereby certified that the originator considers it to be impracticable to phrase this document in such a manner as will permit a classification other than secret.
6. The urgency of delivery of this document is such that it will not reach the addressee in time by the next available officer courier. The originator therefore authorizes the transmission of this document by registered mail within the continental limits of the United States.
C. C. Bloch C. C. BLOCH Copy to: CinCPac(less inclosures) Page 531 NAVY DEPARTMENT OFFICE OF THE CHIEF OF NAVAL OPERATIONS Washington, June 20, 1941. Op-30B2-BP (SC)A7-2(2)/FF1 Serial 059230 Secret From: The Chief of Naval Operations. To: The Commandants, All Naval Districts. The Commander-in-Chief, U. S. Atlantic Fleet. The Commander-in-Chief, U. S. Pacific Fleet. The Commander-in-Chief, U. S. Asiatic Fleet. Subject: Joint Security Measures for the Protection of the Fleet and Pearl Harbor Base. Enclosure: (A) Annex No. VII, Section VI, Joint Agreements of the Joint Coastal Frontier Defense Plan Hawaiian Department and Fourteenth Naval District.
1. Enclosure (A) is forwarded for information. Attention is invited to the importance of the problems presented in the subject matter.
2. Transmission by registered mail within the continental limits of the United States is authorized.
/s/ H. R. STARK Copy to: Op-12