DECEMBER 10, 1941 TO MARCH 5, 1943, Office of Public Relations, U.S. 
Navy, 1943, pp. 140-143.

Hold for release-a. m. paper-Sunday, December 6, 1942
Radio release 9 p. m., e. w. t.-December 5, 1942


     On the morning of December 7, 1941, Japanese aircraft temporarily 
disabled every battleship and most of the aircraft in the Hawaiian area.  
Other naval vessels, both combatant and auxiliary, were put out of 
action, and certain shore facilities, especially at the naval air 
stations, Ford Island and Kaneohe Bay, were damaged.  Most of these 
ships are now back with the fleet.  The aircraft were all replaced 
within a few days, and interference with facilities was generally 
limited to a matter of hours.
     When the Japanese attacked Pearl Harbor, 2 surface ship task forces 
of the Pacific Fleet were carrying out assigned missions at sea, and 2 
such task forces were at their main base following extensive operations 
at sea. Discounting small craft, 86 ships of the Pacific Fleet were 
moored at Pearl Harbor.  Included in this force were 8 battleships, 7 
cruisers, 28 destroyers and 5 submarines.  No U. S. aircraft carriers 
were present.
     As result of the Japanese attack five battleships, the Arizona, 
Oklahoma, California, Nevada, and West Virginia; three destroyers, the 
Shaw and Downes; the mine layer Oglala; the target ship Utah, and a 
large floating drydock were either sunk or damaged so severely that they 
would serve no military purposes for some time.  In addition, three 
battles, the Pennsylvania, Maryland, and Tennessee, three cruisers, the 
Helena, Honolulu, and Raleigh, the seaplane tender Curtiss and the 
repair Vestal were damaged.


     Of the 19 naval vessels listed above as sunk or damaged, the 26-
year-old battleship Arizona will be the only one permanently and totally 
lost.  Preparations for the righting of the Oklahoma are now in process, 
although final decision as to the wisdom of accomplishing this work at 
this time has not been made.  The main and auxiliary machinery, 
approximately 50 percent of the value, of the Cassin and Downes were 
saved.  The other 15 vessels either have been or will be salvaged and 
     The eight vessels described in the second sentence of paragraph 
three returned to the fleet months ago.  A number of the vessels 
described in the first sentence of paragraph three are now in full 
service, but certain others, which required extensive machinery and 
intricate electrical overhauling as well as refloating and hull 
repairing, are not yet ready for battle action.  Naval repair yards are 
taking advantage of these inherent delays to install numerous 
modernization features and improvements.  To designate these vessels by 
name now would give the enemy information vital to his war plans; 
similar information regarding enemy ships which our forces have 
subsequently damaged but not destroyed is denied to us.
     On December 15, 1941, only 8 days after the Japanese attack and at 
a time when there was an immediate possibility of the enemy's coming 
back, the Secretary of the Navy announced that the Arizona, Shaw, 
Cassin, Downes, Utah, and Oglala had been lost, that the Oklahoma had 
capsized and that other vessels had been damaged.  Fortunately, the 
salvage and repair accomplishments at Pearl Harbor have exceeded the 
most hopeful expectations.
     Eighty naval aircraft of all types were destroyed by the enemy.  In 
addition, the Army lost 97 planes on Hickam and Wheeler Fields.  Of 
these 23 were bombers, 66 were fighters, and 8 were other types.
     The most serious American losses were in personnel.  As result of 
the raid on December 7, 1941, 2,117 officers and enlisted men of the 
Navy and Marine Corps were killed, 960 are still reported as missing and 
876 were wounded but survived.  The Army casualties were as follows: 226 
officers and enlisted men were killed or later died of wounds; 396 were 
wounded, most of whom have now recovered and have returned to duty.
     At 7:55 a. m. on December 7, 1941, Japanese dive bombers swarmed 
over the Army Air Base, Hickam Field, and the naval air station on Ford 
Island.  A few minutes earlier the Japanese had struck the naval air 
station at Kaneohe Bay.  Bare seconds later enemy torpedo planes and 
dive bombers swung in from various sectors to concentrate their attack 
on the


heavy ships at Pearl Harbor.  The enemy attack, aided by the element of 
surprise and based on exact information, was very successful.
     Torpedo planes, assisted effectively by dive bombers, constituted 
the major threat of the first phase of the Japanese attack, lasting 
approximately a half-hour.  Twenty-one torpedo planes made 4 attacks, 
and 30 dive bombers came in in 8 waves during this period.  Fifteen 
horizontal bombers also participated in this phase of the raid.
     Although the Japanese launched their initial attack as a surprise, 
battleship ready machine guns opened fire at once and were progressively 
augmented by the remaining antiaircraft batteries as all hands promptly 
were called to general quarters.  Machine guns brought down two and 
damaged others of the first wave of torpedo planes.  Practically all 
battleship antiaircraft batteries were firing within 5 minutes; 
cruisers, within an average time of 4 minutes, and destroyers, opening 
up machine guns almost immediately, average 7 minutes in bringing all 
antiaircraft guns into action.
     From 8:25 to 8:40 a. m. there was a comparative lull in the raid, 
although air activity continued with sporadic attack by dive and 
horizontal bombers.  This respite was terminated by the appearance of 
horizontal bombers which crossed and recrossed their targets from 
various directions and caused serious damage.  While the horizontal 
bombers were continuing their raids, Japanese dive bombers reappeared, 
probably being the same ones that had participated in earlier attacks; 
this phase, lasting about a half-hour, was devoted largely to strafing.  
All enemy aircraft retired by 9:45 a. m.
     Prior to the Japanese attack 202 U.S. naval aircraft of all types 
on the Island of Oahu were in flying condition, but 150 of these were 
permanently or temporarily disabled by the enemy's concentrated assault, 
most of them in the first few minutes of the raid.  Of the 52 remaining 
naval aircraft, 38 took to the air on December 7, 1941, the other 14 
being ready too late in the day or being blocked from take-off 
positions.  Of necessity therefore, the Navy was compelled to depend on 
antiaircraft fire for its primary defensive weapon, and this condition 
exposed the fleet to continuous air attack.  By coincidence, 18 scout 
bombing planes from a U. S. aircraft carrier en route arrived at Pearl 
Harbor during the raid. These are included in the foregoing figures.  
Four of these scout bombers were shot down, 13 of the remaining 14 
taking off again in search of the enemy. Seven patrol planes were in the 
air when the attack started.


It is difficult to determine the total number of enemy aircraft 
participating in the raid, but careful analysis of all reports makes it 
possible to estimate the number as 21 torpedo planes, 48 dive bombers, 
and 36 horizontal bombers, totaling 105 of all types.  Undoubtedly 
certain fighter planes also were present, but these are not 
distinguished by types and are included in the above figures.
     The enemy lost 28 aircraft due to Navy action.  In addition, three 
submarines, of 45 tons each, were accounted for.
     The damage suffered by the U. S. Pacific Fleet as result of the 
Japanese attack on December 7, 1941, was most serious, but the repair 
job now is nearly completed, and thanks to the inspired and unceasing 
efforts of the naval and civilian personnel attached to the various 
repair yards, especially at Pearl Harbor itself, this initial handicap 
soon will be erased forever.



Insert in 2d sentence, 1st paragraph, page 1:

. . . facilities, especially at the Army Bases, Hickam and Wheeler 
Fields, and the naval air stations . . .

Insert after paragraph 3, page 3:
There were a total of 273 Army planes on the Island of Oahu on December 
7, 1941.  Very few of these were able to take off because of the damage 
to the runways at Hickam and Wheeler Fields.

Insert in 1st sentence, last paragraph, page 3:

. . . Navy action, and the few Army pursuit planes that were able to 
take off shot down more than 2O Japanese planes.

Page maintained by Larry W. Jewell, Created: 12/12/96 Updated: 12/12/96