EXHIBIT NO. 25 (HART INQUIRY)
CINCPAC FILE NO. UNITED STATES PACIFIC FLEET
Serial 01254 U. S. S. PENNSYLVANIA, Flagship
PEARL HARBOR, T. H.,
August 13, 1941.
From: Commander-in-Chief, United States Pacific Fleet.
To: Commander Battle Force (Commander Task Force ONE).
Commander Aircraft, Battle Force (Commander Task Force TWO).
Commander Scouting Force (Commander Task Force THREE).
Commander Base Force.
Commanding General, Second Marine Division.
Subject: Employment Schedules; U. S. Pacific Fleet, Second Quarter,
Fiscal Year, 1942.
Reference: (a) Cincus ltr. A4-3FFI Serial 1773 of 16 May, 1938.
(b) U. S. Pacific Fleet Confidential Letter No. 4C1-41.
(c) Cincpac Conf. ltr. A4-3/FF1-1 Serial 0750 of 8 May, 1941.
Enclosure: (A) Copy of subject schedule-Action Addresses 10 each,
information addresses 3 each.
(Under separate cover)
1. Enclosure (A) has been approved by the Chief of Naval Operations and is the general directive for preparation of the subject of this letter.
2. Second quarter employment schedules will be submitted for approval by 5 September, printed and distributed by 15 September, 1941, as follows:
(a) Task Force Commanders inform Type Commanders and Commander Base Force of the times in the schedule to be devoted to inter-type tactics in their respective Task Forces, as soon as practicable.
(b) Type Commanders submit two Task Force Commanders, information Commander-in-Chief, U. S. Pacific Fleet, recommendations for type training indicating priorities in exercises, Commander Scouting Force assign submarines and Patrol Squadrons to Task Forces.
(c) Task Force Commanders and Commander Base Force prepare and submit to Commander-in-Chief, U. S. Pacific Fleet, for approval, the quarterly employment schedule coordinating the requirements of types in their respective Forces.
3. Fleet units in Hawaiian Area are divided for training and operations between three Task Forces, Base Force, and Naval Transportation Service as follows:
TASK FORCE ONE-Commander Battle Force.
Batdivs TWO and FOUR
SARATOGA and planes
Desflot ONE less Desron FIVE
Mindiv ONE, OGLALA
1/3 available submarines
2 Patrol Squadrons
TASK FORCE TWO-Commander Aircraft, Battle Force.
ENTERPRISE and planes
Crudivs THREE and FIVE
Desflot TWO, Desdiv FIFTY
1/3 available submarines
2 Patrol Squadrons
TASK FORCE THREE-Commander Scouting Force.
Crudivs FOUR and SIX
LEXINGTON and planes
Desron FIVE plus Minron TWO
Transports, Base Force (when present)
Second Marine Division less Defense Battalions and Advance Detachment.
Submarines, Scouting Force, U. S. Pacific Fleet (to include Subdiv
TWENTY-ONE) less 2/3 available submarines.
Aircraft, Scouting Force, U. S. Pacific Fleet, less 4 Patrol
BASE FORCE, U. S. Pacific Fleet, less transports (when present).
NAVAL TRANSPORTATION SERVICE-Vessels operating under Opnav and Com 14.
4. Units are assigned in accordance with reference (b). Units omitted from reference (b) have been included in the Task Force Organizations for training purposes.
5. Force and Type Commanders may, to suit individual ship requirements, shift units from one Task Force to another, maintaining proportion of upkeep and operating time.
6. One Task Force will be at sea at all times. When Task Forces enter and leave Pearl Harbor the same day, the departing force will clear before the entry of the other force commences.
7. Reference (c) remains effective, when practicable.
8. Schedules will provide for as many tenders and Base Force vessels as practicable to participate in Fleet Tactics during the period 21-26 November, 1941.
9. Operating and upkeep periods are assigned as follows:
Operating Upkeep TASK FORCE ONE ..........................................28 Sep-9 Oct 10-18 Oct 19-31 Oct 1-10 Nov 11-21 Nov 22-28 Nov 29 Nov-12 Dec 13-20 Dec 21-30 Dec 31 Dec TASK FORCE TWO ....................... 24 Sept-2 Oct 3-17 Oct 18-26 Oct 27 Oct-9 Nov 10-17 Nov 18-27 Nov 28 Nov-5 Dec 6-17 Dec 18-26 Dec 27 Dec TASK FORCE THREE ........................................20 Sep-1 Oct 2-10 Oct 11-22 Oct 23 Oct-1 Nov 2-16 Nov 17-25 Nov 26 Nov-4 Dec 5-13 Dec 14-25 Dec 26-31 Dec
10. Periods assigned for Fleet Tactics:-
Task Forces TWO and THREE-23-26 Oct.
Task Force ONE and THREE-22-25 Nov.
Task Force ONE and TWO-18-20 Dec.
H. E. KIMMEL.
Copy to: Opnav, CincLant, CincAF, Combatships, Comcrubatfor, Cominbatfor, Comcruscofor, Comdesbatfor, Comsubscofor, Comairscofor, Cominron TWO, Compatwing TWO, Compatwing ONE, Com 14.
/s/ P. C. Crosley
P. C. CROSLEY,