From: Manila (Nihro)
23 August 1941
1. Ships in port on the 23rd.
PISU (Arrived the morning of the 23rd).
Destroyers 1. (Arrived from Manila on the 21st).
Transports GORUDOSTNA (entered port about a month ago
and is now under repairs.)
2. The oiler TORINIRCIC left harbor on the 22nd headed for Tarakan in order to take on oil.
3. Recently several destroyers and submarines have been stationed in the vicinity of Mariveles. We are investigating the number stationed at present.
4. Brig. General Cragette arrived here on the 20th apparently on the Dutch ship TIBADAEKY and had a conference with MacArthur on the 21st.
5. According to newspaper reports the CHANTO (formerly the Hilda Maersk) arrived here the 20th after having been repaired at Olongapo and her sister ship the KABARUNDO (formerly the Gertrude Maersk) is at present being repaired there. Hence the floating drydock must have been there formerly, however we will continue investigations.
6. On the 16th a ship which appeared to be the MADDO and two destroyers arrived in Cebu and all left that same night.
JD-1: 4810 (H) Navy Trans. 8-27-41 (6-AR)
(EXHIBITS OF JOINT COMMITTEE , EXHIBIT NO. 2 JAPANESE MESSAGES CONCERNING MILITARY INSTALLATIONS, SHIP MOVEMENTS, ETC.)