August 30, 1941
#559 (Primary Intelligence)
1. Warships at anchor in this harbor on the 30th:
(1) In Manila, 3 destroyers of the Bell class; 6 submarines (submarines left port on the 27th but have returned). Furthermore, the tanker Trinity came to this port on the 27th and dropped anchor here (please refer to Part 2 of my #543 [a]).
(2) One destroyer (undergoing repairs) Gorudosu.
2. A large portion of the submarines, according to intelligences which have come to me, are now in the Ringaen [b] area.
3. 500 American soldiers arrived here on the Cleveland the 29th. Furthermore, on the same day the Migsk entered this harbor. (Though details of this ship could not be ascertained, it is understood that she is loaded to capacity with military equipment.
ARMY 21666 Trans. 9/2/41 (6)
[a] S.I.S. #21518 regarding boats in harbor at Manila.
[b] Lingayen on the west coast of the Island of Luzon.
(EXHIBITS OF JOINT COMMITTEE , EXHIBIT NO. 2 JAPANESE MESSAGES CONCERNING MILITARY INSTALLATIONS, SHIP MOVEMENTS, ETC.)