[Prev][Next][Index][Thread]

Censoring Speech We Don't Like

I thought this sentiment was appropriate for our class conversation
regarding which ideas and speech we would allow on the Internet.

"We must never be intimidated by another man's ideas and we must never rush
to silence free speech. It does not matter how we feel about Justice
Thomas."
        -- NAACP President Kweisi Mfume, Jan. 15, 1997, at a Martin Luther
King Jr. Day celebration in which he scolded the Maryland state chapter for
threatening to protest a speech by U.S. Supreme Court Justice Clarence
Thomas.

*       Joey Senat                                          *
*       Doctoral Student                                    *
*       School of Journalism & Mass Communication           *
*       University of North Carolina @ Chapel Hill          *
*       Voice:  (910) 584-6172                              *
*       E-Mail:  jsenat@email.unc.edu                       *
*       1849 Stratford Road                                 *
*       Burlington, NC   27217                              *