2007 - 08 of ibiblio
|800 Collections||1600+ Collections||2500+ Collections|
|3 million ftp+www/day||15+ million ftp+www/day*||16+ million ftp+www/day|
|1 terabyte of data||8 terabytes of data||13 terabytes of data|
|1 large server, 2 peripherals||22 www/vhost servers||25 www/vhost servers|
|2 database servers||5 database servers||7 database servers|
|4 radio stations||6 radio stations||6 radio stations|
ibiblio sites strongly related to providing services and outreach to North Carolina
ibiblio boasts a 15-year history of serving North Carolina-centric web sites, audio and video. ibiblio provides our public schools in particular with freely available resources that are educational, cultural, and just plain fun, from several sites concerning North Carolina Ghost Stories to pages on Moonshine and the Spivey's Corner Hollerin' Contest.
For an exhaustive list, check out the nearly 150 sites marked as North Carolina-related in our Collection Index
Highlighted North Carolina-themed sites:
- The Agricultural Resources Center advocates for alternatives to toxic pesticides in North Carolina by empowering people to make sound decisions about their health and environment.
- Bawdy Ballads and Farfetched Folklore collects ballads and folk tales from the North Carolina mountains. The site includes video from the NC State Fair talent competition and offers traditional "Jack Tales."
- Broken Arrow: the Bomb of Goldsboro explores environmental concerns surrounding two hydrogen bombs that fell without detonating near Faro, NC - one of them still sunk in a boggy farm field.
- The Citizen's Handbook of North Carolina's Environmental Information Sources describes non-governmental groups and governmental agencies that provide environmental information and resources for North Carolina. Although most sources are located within North Carolina, selected out-of-state organizations, agencies, and publications are listed as well.
- Fully Awake: The Black Mountain College Experience is a documentary film project that explores Black Mountain College's history and cultural impact. "Tucked in the mountains of Western North Carolina, Black Mountain College (1933-1957) has emerged as one of the most influencial experiments in education." The film will be made to be used in educational outreach programs in high schools throughout North Carolina and the South.
- Ghost Stories of North Carolina enables users to learn about the history of North Carolina ghost stories: to read, see, and hear actual ghost stories.
- The Heirs' Project aims to strengthen and broaden the base of North Carolina social justice organizers.
- iNSIDEoUT serves all lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and allied youth in North Carolina.
- More Than Math uses the art of Josef Albers from Black Mountain College to teach 3rd-5th grade math principles from the state math standards.
- The North Carolina Archaelogical Collection - An Interactive Online Database of Artifacts at the Research Laboratories of Archaeology University of Noth Carolina at Chapel Hill.
- Storytelling of the North Carolina Native Indians offers real time audio and/or video of traditional tales told by Native Americans from the Cherokee, Occaneechi, and Lumbee tribes.
Broader collections offering North Carolina-related content:
- Etree.org offers nearly 7,800 live music shows that were recorded in North Carolina, freely and legally available for download over BitTorrent.
- The Confluence Project has registered visits to all 13 of the Degree Confluence points in NC and is used in many 4th and 5th grade classrooms.
- Project Gutenberg is a rich free-text resource including over 20,000 books, the following four concerning North Carolina:
Etext# 24539 by Howe, W. W. [Editor] entitled: Kinston, Whitehall and Goldsboro (North Carolina) expedition, December, 1862 Etext# 12953 by Hunter, C. L. entitled: Sketches of Western North Carolina, Historical and Biographical Etext# 6080 by Moore, John W. (John Wheeler), 1833-1906 entitled: School History of North Carolina : from 1584 to the present time Etext# 22976 entitled: Slave Narratives: a Folk History of Slavery in the United States from Interviews with Former Slaves, North Carolina Narratives, Part 1 Etext# 3126 entitled: On Horseback, by Charles Dudley Warner is about North Carolina in part.
North Carolina-based Localized / Community Groups
- Carolina HEELs brings children from diverse backgrounds to the UNC campus and allos them the opportunity to participate in leadership activities.
- Central Carolina Skywarn, "The Eyes and Ears of the National Weather Service," is an organization of severe weather spotters trained by the National Weather Service. Many Skywarn Spotters are Amateur radio operators who make use of portable and mobile radio to report severe weather conditions through their local Skywarn net to the National Weather Service.
- The North Carolina Boy Scouts of America's Orange District Occoneechee Council serves Scouts and Scouters of Orange County, North Carolina.
- The Orange County Arts Commission works to develop the arts in Orange County, North Carolina, which includes the townships of Chapel Hill, Hillsborough & Carrboro.
One of ibiblio's strongest contributions to the state has been that of providing stable, continuous online streaming of North Carolina-based non-profit radio stations: WCPE, WUNC, WXYC, WXDU, WDAV, and WCOM, all free of charge. We typically see up to 50,000 unique listeners on weekdays as we serve North Carolina's radio stations to areas of the state not covered by the individual stations' towers.
In 1994 ibiblio (then SunSITE) pioneered online radio streaming by offering UNC's student station, WXYC, on the nascent 'Net. Ten years later, ibiblio began serving WCPE as one of the first online radio streams to use the IPV6 protocol.
Some speakers and speakings
ibiblio sponsored and co-sponsored speakers and events
Software Freedom day. September 14, 2007. Co-sponsorored with Carolina Open Source Initiative (also hosted by ibiblio)
NC Science Blogging Conference. January 19, 2008. ibiblio co-sponsored the event and Paul Jones served as co-organizer.
Cliff Missen of eGranary. February 4, 2008. ibiblio co-sponsored Cliff's talk with INTRAHealth.
DJ Spooky. February 8, 2008. ibiblio as organizer and co-sponsor (with Art, Cultural Studies, Open Video, English, Carolina Union, Duke Major Performances).
National and Community Talks and Conferences
NC Department of Cultural Resources at IBM - October 1, 2007. Jones as visiting consultant
"Noisy Libraries! and Free Software and Why You Should Love Them." October 17, 2007. Kansas State University, Manhattan Kansas. Jones as University Distinguished Lecturer.
Intercontinental Hotel Group. November 17 - 18, 2007. Jones as consultant.
NCSU Computer Science Graduation Diploma Ceremony. December 19, 2007. Jones as speaker
INTRAHealth. January 16, 2008. Jones as featured speaker.
NC Technology Board luncheon. January 25, 2008. Jones as attendee.
WebWise 08. Institute of Museum and Library Services. Miami. March 5 - 7. Jones as invited panelist.
Microsoft Technology Summit. March 25 - 28, 2008. Jones as invitee.
UNC Systems Attorneys Retreat. UNC General Administration. March 20, 2008. Jones as invited speaker.
On UNC Campus
ASIST Panel. November 13, 2007. Jones as panelist.
UNC Black Journalists Association. February 13, 2008. Jones as panelist
Emerging Topics in Information Science. February 21, 2008. Don Sizemore as guest lecturer.
Cyberlaw class. UNC Law. February 26, 2008. Jones as guest lecturer.
Media Law class. UNC School of Journalism. February 28, 2008. Jones as guest lecturer.
Digital Humanities Seminar. UNC English. March 18, 2008. Jones as guest lecturer.
William Blake archive is now housed at UNC, ibiblio is providing more flexible e-mail services for Blake than would have been available through the University.
CTSA status tracking systems and data management -
School of Public Health - Jones on Gillings Innovation Acceleration Centers Board
INTRAHealth - Open Source for Public Health
Open Library and Open Content Alliance - Paul Jones, Simon Spero and Donald Sizemore are members of the Open Content Alliance and the Open Library project, which aims to digitize and make available every book in the public domain. Simon, an ibiblio graduate student worker, has been a key programmer supporting OpenLibrary's Scan-on-Demand initiative.
NSF DataNet proposal - lead by archive.org
Virtual Computing Initiative in collaboration with NCSU and MCNC. ibiblio is making use of blade computing equipment donated to the VCL project to test and evaluate VCL's use in generating virtual machines housed centrally in the MCNC data center, with a final aim of making these virtual resources available to the public school system in hopes of deploying standard desktop configurations onto cheap hardware from a central location.
Awards and Recognitions
The Truth's out there - Honestly The Times (London). December 30, 2007.