INLS 740: Digital Library Review Template
This template is meant to guide your DL Review presentation: some attributes on the template may not be applicable to some DLs, and some DLs may include other attributes not on the template.
- What is the user community(-ies)?
- Who are the stakeholders (sponsors, partners, funders, host institution(s), etc.)? Who actually operates the DL?
- How is the DL funded? Is this sustainable?
- How does the DL interoperate/cooperate with other DLs?
Content (Collection Development Policy)
- What does the DL contain (type, media, volume)?
- What will it contain in 5 years? Is there a formal collection development policy?
- Who can add objects to the collection?
- How is it organized (what are the basic units of the collection? Collections/aggregations? What metadata is used for each?) What metadata standards have been adopted?
- If the DL is part of a physical library, how are digital and physical objects related? (e.g., are there digital pointers to physical objects or vice versa?)
- What is the access policy (e.g., free web, subscription, membership, etc.)?
- What search services are provided (e.g., single search engine for entire DL? Alternative modes [e.g., basic, advanced])?
- How is selection/browsing managed?
- Are reference services offered (e.g., FAQ, email queries, query form, chat, etc.)?
- Is help or instruction available?
- Where do the files/dbs/server(s) reside?
- What are the hardware (compute and network) components?
- What interface techniques are used (assumptions about user expertise, interaction style supported [command/form-fill/menu/direct manipulation/visualizations], control mechanisms provided [frames, java apps])?
- Are there special security or quality of service provisions?
- Are there specific research and development problems this DL addresses?