Subject: Re: swi jpl character coding

From: Fred Dushin <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2000 15:01:34 -0500 (EST)

> Hi,
> 
> i use jpl-1.0.1 together with 3.4.2. In my Prolog Demo i use some
> german "Umlaute" like ÄÖÜöäüß.
> All these characters are mapped to ASCII 128 on the Java side.
> 
> What can i do?

Are you using umlautes in atoms or strings?  And I assume this is in
your Prolog code, yes?

Converting from Prolog to Java, a char array is obtained from
the FLI PL_get_atom_chars function, which returns char *, which in turn
is converted to a Java String using NewStringUTF.

I guess I see two opportunities for things to go awry; either the
PL_get_atom_chars is just returning the high order byte of the umluate
char, or the NewStringUTF is not respecting the UTF encoding.

Jan, how are atoms encoded in the prolog vm?  As UTF?

-- 
Fred Dushin <[email-masked]>

vi rulse!^H^H^Hes!
`:wq