Subject: Re: [SWIPL] How to create a log file?

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 10:14:01 +0100

On Tue, 13 Feb 2001, Richard A. O'Keefe wrote:
>David Yang <[email-masked]> wrote:
>	[He would like to get a log-file the way log/0 did in DEC-10 Prolog.]
>
>In UNIX systems, the answer is to use the UNIX 'script' command.
>This logs all (and I mean all) characters typed at the keyboard
>or sent to the screen.  You can even use it to replay emacs sessions.
>So
>	csh1> script prolog.log
>	csh2> pl
>	.........
>	halt.
>	csh2> exit
>	csh1> 
>
>Here I have "csh1" as the prompt printed by the outer shell,
>and "csh2" as the prompt printed by the inner shell that 'script'
>starts up.
>
>What you would do on Windows I cannot imagine.  Suffer, probably.
>(We have two Telnet programs installed on the Windows machines in
>a lab I've been teaching in lately.  One of them won't let you use
>the arrow keys with Emacs, and the other one won't let you enter
>Ctrl-@ not NOHOW.  Is this a plot against telnet+emacs?  Probably.)

For these reasons SWI-Prolog has protocol/1 and noprotocol/0.  See
manual.

	--- Jan