Subject: Re: about SWI-Prolog compiler for LINUX

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 21 May 1999 16:49:22 +0200

On Fri, 21 May 1999, Luis Gomes wrote:
>I'm a responsable for a logic programming course at Azores University
>(Portugal) and, next year, I will want to change the operative system (for
>Linux Red Hat) under which I will install a prolog compiler.
>This year we are using your SWI-Prolog version for Windows and we
>are very satisfied with it. So, we need to know, as soon as possible,
>if there is a pre-compiled version of SWI-Prolog for Linux.

Yes, there is.  It is available from

	http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/pub/SWI-Prolog/download.html

It is compiled on SuSE Linux 6.0 (there is also a version compiled on
SuSE 5.3 for libc 5.x).  I've heard the SuSE glibc 2.0.7 is not
compatible with Redhat.  In that case, you may wish to compile from
the sources (that almost always works).  There is an RPM driver file
included, so creating a binary RPM for the patform of choice is easy:

	* Unpack the source,
	* Run configure
	* Copy pl.spec to your RPM/SPECS dir
	* Copy the source-archive to RPM/SOURCES
	* Goto RPM/SPECS dir
	* Edit pl.spec to suit your needs
	* run rpm -bb pl.spec

	Regards --- Jan