Subject: Re: [SWIPL] installing problems

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:12:51 +0100

>     I'm a really naive Linux user, trying to install SWI-prolog on the
> RedHat Linux 6.2 system. But I can't unpack the rpms: I get messages
> saying that I need more recent versions of some basic libraries. I've
> gotten these, but they in turn apparently need new versions of other
> things, including a newer rpm rpm.
>     How can I install SWI-prolog and XPCE? Do I need to update to RedHat
> 7? Or are there older versions I could use (I haven't found any).
>     Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Use the source.  You'll get away (SWI-Prolog 4.x) using:

	tar zxvf pl-4.0.2.tar.gz
	cd pl-4.0.2/src
	./configure && make && make install
	cd ../packages
	./configure && make && make install
	cd ../..
	rm -r pl-4.0.2

If you want everything working properly, make sure to have libreadline,
libncurses (or libcurses or libtermcap), libjpeg and libXpm installed.

	--- Jan