Subject: Re: [SWIPL] installing problems

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2001 11:24:53 +0100

> Thanks to Bourgignon and Wielemaker for suggesting that I use a source
> rpm, rather than a binary, to install SWI-prolog. This worked fine for
> prolog, but I have a problem with trying to install the packages, in
> particular the xpce one. When I try "./configure" I get the error message:
> 	"Could not find library -lXpm ..."
> Now I have gotten the xpm files and installed them, so that I do have
> 	/usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.11
> I don't know why packages/configure can't find this library, or what to
> do about it. Again, any help will be greatly appreciated.

Some things to check:

	* Maybe you need to run ldconfig (as root) to install the
	  library properly.

	* In some weird situation the only things that finally helped
	  was to make a link by hand:

		ln -s /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so.4.11 /usr/X11R6/lib/libXpm.so

	* Did this package include the xpm.h in /usr/X11R6/include/X11/xpm.h?
	  
	* Finally, it may be a caching problem by configure.  Remove
	  packages/xpce/src/config.cache

Most likely some combination of this will help.  You didn't include
enough details to tell which.

	--- Jan