Subject: Re: CORBA with SWI-Prolog

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 15:18:17 +0200

> > Dear Dr. Wielemaker,
> > 
> > For my research work, I'm interested in the different ways to make
> > interact two differents programming languages (in different paradigms).
> > It's well-known that CORBA IDL is one of the ways to get it.
> > 
> > I got your article about an overview of a CORBA IDL compiler for
> > SWI-Prolog. I would like to know what is the actual status of the
> > implememtation and where could I download the latest version.
> > 
> > I want to make an experience interfacing Prolog and another language
> > (surely C) with CORBA IDL. I'll compare this experience with another one
> > in which I use a direct interface like Prolog-C interface.
> > 
> > Thank you for your attention. Regards.
> > 
> > + Gustavo +

I've put the stuff on ~ftp/pub/SWI-Prolog/ALPHA/corba.tgz

As for the status, you'll find some remarks in the documentation.  It is
a bit sleeping software, though I used it about a month ago to chat with
an Orbacus server.  Both C++ and Corba implementations are a bit moving
targets, so each time I need it (about yearly) I generally need to fiddle
a bit with options and sometimes add small things to the translator.

Currently it assumes an IDL to define a module with interfaces.  Nested
modules, nor interfaces outside modules are allowed.  IDL constants are
parsed and may be used in type-declarations, but they cannot be requested
from Prolog.  See the testing stuff to get a start.

For the rest, you are mostly on your own.

	--- Jan