Subject: Re: Editor f�r Prolog

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 May 1999 13:13:26 +0200

On Thu, 27 May 1999, Braun wrote:
>Sehr geehrte Damen und Herren,
>
>hiermit wende ich mich im Auftrag von Herrn Prof. Dr. Helmut Groh an 
>sie.
>Herr Groh möchte wissen, ob von Ihnen eine Prolog-Programmversion mit 
>einem Ganzseiten-Editor und komfortabler Entwicklungsumgebung erhältlich 
>ist. Bisher ist es uns nur gelungen, eine Version mit einem 
>Einzeilen-Editor herunterzuladen. Läßt sich vielleicht in diese Version 
>ein Ganzseiten-Editor integrieren?
>Für entsprechende Informationen wären wir Ihnen sehr dankbar.
>
>Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Dear Wolgang,

My german isn't that good.  Most of all, I don't really know what a
`Ganzseiten-Editor' is (except for some kind of editor).  You have
several options for building a development environment.

	(1) Use GNU-Emacs.  If you have somebody with good knowlegde
	of Emacs-lisp you can install the lisp directory from the
	sources to be able to run Prolog in an emacs-window.  Please
	note this code is rather old and needs fixing for recent
	versions of Emacs and probably also for Windows.

	If anyone has got GNU-Emacs/SWI-Prolog running comfortably
	using something that can be distributed, please let me know.

	(2) Use whatever editor you like.  Configure this editor as
	described in the manual, so you can use edit/1 to locate
	predicates, files, modules, whatever.  After editing you type
		
		?- make.

	To update all modified files.

	(3) Use PceEmacs (install XPCE, pointers from the SWI-Prolog
	home page) and the GUI-Tracer (available through the SWI-Prolog
	download page).  PceEmacs is an emacs-clone with tight
	integration to Prolog, syntax-guided indentation, highlighting
	singleton variables, automatic syntax checking, etc.  The tracer
	provides a GUI frontend for the tracer, showing source-location,
	stack, choicepoints and data.

	XPCE is free for Linux, and there is a free demo version for
	Windows (95, 98, NT).

	Regards --- Jan