Subject: [SWIPL] SGML/RDF Parser and Solaris

From: Gunnar AAstrand Grimnes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2001 18:21:01 +0100

Hi,

Ive been trying to build the SGML package on our Solaris server, but Ive 
encountered several problems:

* The configure script fails to find "pl" even though it is in the path. 
However it is not in the standard place, but rather in the directory I 
specified as prefix.  Specifying the location of the "pl" executable using 
--with-prolog changes nothing, but setting the PL environment variable will 
make it detect prolog, but still fail to execute "pl 
-dump-runtime-variables", thus giving me all the wrong PLBASE vars etc.
I solved this by setting all the variables by hand before running configure

* When building the sgml2pl.so, Solaris expects the -G to be passed to ld. 
I solved this by adding -G in the Makefile, but it should really be changed 
in the configure.in script to make configure detect solaris and change this.

* I had some problems linking dtd2pl and sgml programs, but that could 
caused by out odd solaris setup. In the end I had to specify linking with 
/usr/lib/libc.so (Solaris' standard C library) and create a small object 
file with a dummy "__eprintf" (Which does not exist on Solaris)

and then after having "hacked" it all together, swi-prolog still complained:

trogon:~/src/prolog/sgml-1.0.13/RDF/ pl
Welcome to SWI-Prolog (Version 4.0.9)
Copyright (c) 1990-2000 University of Amsterdam.
Copy policy: GPL-2 (see www.gnu.org)

For help, use ?- help(Topic). or ?- apropos(Word).

?- ensure_loaded("rdf").
ERROR: source_sink `114' does not exist
?-

Has anyone got any idea where I can go from here?
Has anyone else successfully built the SGML/RDF parser on Solaris.

I will make an effort to update the configure.in file, Ive never really 
touched a autoconf script, but if I succeed I'll send you a patch.

Cheers.

--
Gunnar AAstrand Grimnes
[email-masked]
http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~ggrimnes

7 John Knox Court
Mounthooly
Aberdeen
AB24 3LF

--
Gunnar AAstrand Grimnes
[email-masked]
http://www.csd.abdn.ac.uk/~ggrimnes

7 John Knox Court
Mounthooly
Aberdeen
AB24 3LF