Subject: Re: [SWIPL] Error message installing SWI-Prolog 4.0.9

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 12:29:44 +0200

On Fri, 14 Sep 2001, Michael A. Covington wrote:
>On some of our PCs, both under Windows 98 and under Windows 2000, we are
>getting the message:
>
>
>Error Running Prolog
>
>An error occurred when running Prolog to register icons and the PL filetype.
>
>
>SWI-Prolog 4.0.9 installs but does not set up items in the Start Menu.
>
>On other PCs, we do not get the error; everything proceeds normally.  We
>have not yet pinned down the cause of the problem.
>
>I understand there was a similar problem in SWI-Prolog 3.3.0 Beta or
>something like that.  How can we fix it?

I know the problem, though I've not seen it for quite a while.  It only
happens on some specific computers and hardly appears related to the
Windows version running on it.  It might be a conflict handling the
registry.  It appears consistent for a specific machine: once installed
fine all upgrades are fine and if it complains it keeps complaining.

The only advice I've got is to register the filetype by hand.  Just
associate the .PL with plwin.exe does most of the important work.
We're considering to upgrade the installer or switch to another
installation platform.

	--- Jan