Subject: Re: [SWIPL] Compiling an embedded engine, with gcc.

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:29:12 +0200

On Thu, 06 Sep 2001, Maniak-B wrote:
>Hi folks,
>
>I'm wondering why should I use plld instead of gcc ? Isnt the following
>line compatible with plld ?
>
>gcc -D__SWI_PROLOG__ -D__SWI_EMBEDDED__ -DREENTRANT -o test
>test-prolog.swi.o -g -lm -lreadline -ldl -lpl -L/usr/local/lib

Most likely on some platform.  Note however that plld also deals
with creating the saved-state if Prolog code is involved.  In
addition, it tries hide platform and Prolog configuration differences
to make it easy for you to write portable Makefiles.

Still, it is far from complete.  One of the plans is to hook in onto
the GNU libtool project, providing a very portable tool for embedding.
Given the differences between different OS and compiler/linker
configurations a truely portable solution is not easy though.

	--- Jan