Subject: [SWIPL] Ann: SWI-Prolog 4.1.0/XPCE 5.1.11

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2002 14:01:25 +0100

Hi,

The above versions have been uploaded to the usual place in souce
and binary format.

	http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/projects/SWI-Prolog/download.html

The Linux binary is created on SuSE 7.3.

Most important, possibly qualifying the system as beta, is a new
implementation of meta-calling.  Meta-calling now compiles control-structures
to a clause stored on the local stack, arguments to call directly sharing with
to orgiginal term.  This approach is much faster if the arguments to calls 
hold large datastructures.  Using a clause(-body) on the local stack 
simplifies destruction of the clause.

In addition, there is a new chapter in the Reference Manual where I try to
describe how the various SWI-Prolog development environment components are
meant to make your development work comfortable.  The text is a bit global
as many details are subject to change in the development tools.

You find this at

	http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/projects/SWI-Prolog/Manual/IDE.html

Please note that all section-files of the HTNL manual now have meaningful (?)
names.  Please check hypertext links to parts of the manual!

	Enjoy

		--- Jan

Summary of Changes
------------------

	SWI-Prolog
	----------
	
	* Quintus/SICStus compatibility to statistics/2
	* Fixed interaction chdir/1 <-> file_search_path/2
	* Replaced chdir/1 with working_directory/2 (chdir is now
	  in autoload library).
	* Allow indexing files in subdirectories of library.  See 		                 
          make_library_index/1
	* New meta-calling implementation.  See above.
	* Fix PL_cleanup() problems, so you can safely create a new Prolog
	* Fixed portability problems for ARM and hppa architectures
	* Better syntax warning for common (hello,) syntax error
	* Many small things ...

	XPCE (And Prolog development environment)
	-----------------------------------------

	* Image handling: handle JPEG COM markers, generate PostScript on
	trueColor visuals (X11), some save/load related issues (X11).

	* Lots of improvements to PceEmacs general UI and Prolog mode.

	* Many small things ...