Subject: [SWIPL] Ann: SWI-Prolog 5/XPCE 6 LGPL on www.swi-prolog.org

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2002 16:13:14 +0100

Hi,

I've uploaded SWI-Prolog 5.0/XPCE 6.0 to

	http://www.swi-prolog.org

This is the new SWI-Prolog home.  The old site will be changed to a number
of redirections.  Dynamic (the twiki web) and heavily used (download and
manuals) remain on the SWI site, but you shouldn't be bothered by that.

	Happy hacking --- Jan

Organisation: License, home and plans
=====================================

  * LICENSE

    SWI-Prolog/XPCE and all our packages are now licensed according to the
    LGPL for the C-parts and GPL + exception to allow linking into non-GPL
    applications for the Prolog libraries.

    The new rights make it much easier for us to integrate contributions
    into the system as we no longer need the copyright to them.

    The old proprietary license provided more rights.  We anticipate most
    holders will have no problem switching to the new conditions.  If there
    are problems, please contact [email-masked] and we will try to find
    a solution.  Of course you are free to stick with the old version under
    the old proprietary license.

  * HOME

    The official home of SWI-Prolog is now

  	http://www.swi-prolog.org

    Especially the heavy used download page and pages that need facilities
    not provide with the hosting ISP stay on the SWI site.  The above however
    should be a once and forall stable URL, so

        PLEASE UPDATE YOUR LINKS

  * PLANS

    I have decided to try and arrange things such that I can spend much more
    time to XPCE/SWI-Prolog.  In due time, this means the project should
    become fully self-supporting.  The above new license agreement places
    SWI-Prolog firmly in the Free and Open Source Initiative and therefore
    allow us only to make money on related activities.  We are working on
    the details, but these will include support, sponsored development and
    general sponsoring.  Please help us build a community that is profitable
    for all of us!

    Further announcements will follow.

SWI-Prolog 5.0.0
================

  * BUGS FIXED
     + sub_atom/5 crash on backtracking
     + random/3 from Quintus compatibility library
     + Permission problem in make/0
     + Type-checking in code/character lists

  * PORTABILITY
     + Renamed write_ln to writeln (write_ln still in library(backcomp))

  * ADDED
     + Menus to PLWIN.EXE console
     + Many improvements on to the development and manual tools.

XPCE 6.0.0
===========

  * BUGS FIXED
     + Save images on 24 and 32 bit machines (X11)
     + Many frame geometry management problems

  * MODIFIED:
     + Default look-and-feel now incorporates many Gtk (GNOME) elements.

  * PORTABILITY:
     + Prefer mkstemp() over tmpnam() (security).

  * ADDED
     + Library(persistent_frame) to make it easy to write applications that
       remember their window location.  Use this for many of the standard
       tools from the manual and Prolog environment.