Subject: Re: 3.0 BETA.

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1999 10:44:03 +0100

On Thu, 02 Dec 1999, Cortelli Paolo wrote:
>Hello!
>	always happy to see how Swi-Prolog is continuously bettered and amended!
>In 1/12/99 beta some layout characters are missing in the help, so
>there are new longer words!

That happens all the time.  There is only a pretty hacky transformation
from LaTeX to plain text.  Due to an error in the source however things
got worse after section 3.13.  There is a new MANUAL and helpidx.pl
file in the BETA directory.  See also the added README for describing
the current status of the BETA (which appears to start doing well now).

>By the way, why not make a little room in the server for sources from
>programmers (beginner, intermediated and advanced) without your having to
>manage yourself, but just left managed by users. I believe that lot of
>people  would be glad to contribute.

I think you are right.   Comments?   Needs a bit of organising though.
There should be some sort of index and some level of protection.  Using
just an open ftp-directory is asking for trouble.  Basically, I think
we need:

	* Hierarchical index
	* Keywords
	* Description (optional)
	* Anyone can place documents, who are tagged with user and
	  password.  Only the original poster can withdraw and
	  modify the package.

Anyone aware of a good package to master something along these lines
(running on Solaris or Linux).	

	Regards --- Jan