Subject: RE: MESSAGE FROM INDIAN STUDENT

From: "Douglas Miles (Volt Computer)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jan 2000 20:11:24 -0800

Well most distributions of expert systems theoretical source code are
platform independent.. Such as they are made for to run on a language
interpreters such Allegro Common Lisp or Commercial Prolog.  

I am using SWI-Prolog for most of my applications.  

I was going with a commercial (SICStus) Prolog for a short while thinking I
was buying speed and support. But then noticed they had a lack of built in
commands and a closed source (common to commercial systems). Perhaps then I
began to believed they secretly limited me for sake of "stability" instead
of performance optimizations. Too much seemed interpreted. I needed faster,
I could not get to the C++ level. I think Richard O'Keefe's libraries are
the best part of its distribution and was what kept me working with it.

However there is an Option open with SWI-Prolog :) (and maybe early versions
of Bin Prolog.)
SWI-Prolog has a product cycle that keeps is involved in updates and
optimizations and stability. SWI-Prolog offers good mail support and I think
is completely free in research cases like yours.  you can sign up and get it
free at http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/projects/SWI-Prolog/ Portable to many
platforms, including almost all Unix platforms, Win32 (Windows-95, 98 and
NT) (And Windows 2000 Professional and Windows Millennium so far). Both
32-bits and 64-bits machines are supported. Distributed in source and binary
on some platforms. You can easily recompile it for a different environment.
Sources are plain ANSI-C and the SWI-Prolog kernel is about 450 Kbytes. Can
be in a shared object (.so or .DLL). 

This may be your NT Prolog engine

I would be happy to help in any way.. you can check out what my employer has
at http://research.microsoft.com/msbn/default.htm or
http://research.microsoft.com/demos.htm

But MSR has not come out with any open Expert System "source" yet.

Thank you,
	Douglas Miles [email-masked]

Can anyone help Amey Out?

>-----Original Message-----
>From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
>Sent: Tuesday, January 04, 2000 10:02 AM
>To: Douglas Miles [email-masked]	
>Subject: MESSAGE FROM INDIAN STUDENT
>
>
>
>Hello ,
>         I am Amey Shirali fr om India. I am a computer science student and

>our project is on an expert system in Prolog. We are working on a expert 
>system (medical) to diagnose anemia. We wanted to know if there are expert 
>system resources or source codes on the nt. If u could help us it would be 
>very nice ....
>
>
>Thx & regd
>Amey