Subject: Something wrong here with Prolog+JPL

From: Pascal Vaillant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 14:55:24 +0000 (GMT)

Dear _,

I have a problem with SWI Prolog in relation to JPL, Fred Dushin's
Java/SWI-Prolog interface package.

I installed JPL on my machine (Pentium + Linux) to command Prolog from
Java programs. The package compiled correctly, but the test programs in
the test or demo subdirectories always give this result:

 [PROLOG INTERNAL ERROR:
         trapUndefined(): undefined: system:$undefined_procedure/4
 [Switched to system mode: style_check(+dollar)]
 PROLOG STACK:
 ]

 Action? 

In the case this message would mean that pl would have to be launched
with style_check(+dollar), I created a pl.rc file containing the order
style_check(+dollar):

 pascal:/usr/lib/pl-3.2.9# cat pl.rc
 :-writef("Hello, I am reading this file.\n").
 :-style_check(+dollar).
 pascal:/usr/lib/pl-3.2.9# 

But to my surprise it has no effect on the actual value of
style_check(dollar):

 pascal:~/trouve/jpl/jpl-1.0.1/test> /usr/bin/pl
 Hello, I am reading this file.
 Welcome to SWI-Prolog (Version 3.2.9)
 Copyright (c) 1993-1999 University of Amsterdam.  All rights reserved.

 For help, use ?- help(Topic). or ?- apropos(Word).

 1 ?- style_check(?dollar).

 No
 2 ?- halt.
 pascal:~/trouve/jpl/jpl-1.0.1/test> 

Does somebody have an idea about what is not going how it should go?

By the way, I still could not compile SWI Prolog 3.2.9 so that the
resulting program works with the line editor provided by GNU's
'libreadline' library. When I type the up-arrow, I get : '^[[A', and
Control-P simply yields '^P'. However when compiling, no message
indicates that something is not going wrong. Has anybody already
have this problem, or have a hint about what could go wrong?

(cf. my mail to this list, 10 Jan 2000).

Thanks in advance for any help,

Pascal

--
Pascal Vaillant                                Jägerstraße 10/11
Humboldt Universität zu Berlin                 10117 Berlin (Allemagne)
Lehstuhl Computerlinguistik                    Tel: (+49/30) 20 19 25 54