Subject: [Fwd: Something wrong here with Prolog+JPL]

From: Fred Dushin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 20:23:27 -0500

I meant to send this to the SWI list, in case this comes up elsewhere.

Subject: Re: Something wrong here with Prolog+JPL
From: Fred Dushin <[email-masked]>
To: Pascal Vaillant <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 20:22:02 -0500

> I have a problem with SWI Prolog in relation to JPL, Fred Dushin's
> Java/SWI-Prolog interface package.
> 
> I installed JPL on my machine (Pentium + Linux) to command Prolog from
> Java programs. The package compiled correctly, but the test programs in
> the test or demo subdirectories always give this result:
> 
>  [PROLOG INTERNAL ERROR:
>          trapUndefined(): undefined: system:$undefined_procedure/4
>  [Switched to system mode: style_check(+dollar)]
>  PROLOG STACK:
>  ]
> 
>  Action?

I have not had this problem with pl-3.2.9.  I would not be surprised if this has
something to do with the other problems your report about libreadline; JPL's
make files are pretty dumb about configurations.  In fact, one of the things I
need to do still is use autoconf to make some configure scripts.

I have the following libreadline rpms on my (PowerPC) linux system:

readline-2.2.1-5
readline-devel-2.2.1-5

Perhaps you have a version that is out of date.  With the version of libreadline
I have, I don't seem to have any problems with pl and libreadline behavior, but
I have had this problem before on other RedHat (5.2) systems for intel boxes. 
The PowerPC versions of libraries seem to be more up to date than other
systems.  Funny, that, being such an obscure platform.

As an alternative, maybe you should compile both SWI and JPL without libreadline
support, and see if that resolves these issues.  You'll have to rebuild the SWI
static library, since the jpl shared library that gets created drags in all of
libpl.a (except for stuff that references the standard C library)

Sorry I can't be more specific.