Subject: SWI-Prolog 3.3.0-beta-10

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 16:27:18 +0100

Hi,

Yet the next beta has been uploaded to

	ftp://swi.psy.uva.nl/pub/SWI-Prolog/BETA/

This time with two problems fixed that got into the 3.3.0 rewrite:

	* open_null_stream/1 yielded a protected stream ...

	* tail-recursion optimisation was enable during tracing,
	  producing a bit hard-to-understand trace.

Other things changed:

	* Added support for assert/1 on very deeply nested terms, as
	  long as the nesting is on the rightmost argument. In
	  particular this avoids stack-overflows on assert of very
	  long lists.  Asserting such structures is now also a lot
	  faster.

        * Properly exploit indexing in retract/1 and retractall/1 and
	  schedule clause-destruction.  This produces a giant speedup
	  when retracting with instantiated first argument from
	  predicates with many indexed clauses.  Spotted by Lourens
	  van der Meij.

For XPCE users: a new version of the Linux version is in the BETA
directory, fixing a problem with the atom garbage collector.  For
regsitered users of the Windows and Unix versions: The 5.0.7 version
on the restricted area have been updated.

	Regards --- Jan