Subject: Recommendation on Project?

From: "C S Lim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Mar 2000 13:16:39 MYT

Hi,

I'm doing Intelligent Timetable Generator for my project, below is the 
scenario..

Scenario : My college has diploma, higher diploma and degree intakes. All 
are specialised in computing. The intakes time are different. Every month, 
there will at least a new intake, can be either diploma, higher diploma or 
degree. The courses offered here are modulus system (every 3 months, 
subjects changed).

Problem : Current college timetabling system is a manual one which is done 
in excel spreadsheet. The staff has to allocate the rooms and lecturers to 
new intake manually and has to print out the class timetable as well as 
lecturer's timetable to compare whether there's any clashes or not.

constraint :
1) No class can have more than 1 lecture at the same time.
2) No lecturer can have more than 1 lecture at the same time.

Proposal :
The proposed system will generate timetable automatically for all the 
classes or new intakes. It will make sure that no class can have more than 1 
lecture at the same time. Also, this system will make sure that no lecturer 
can teach more than 1 class at the same time. The system will be intelligent 
to assign lecturer who has the expertise to the subject. If there are 2 
lecturer has the same specialisation, the system will coose the one has a 
lesser workload.

May i know whether this is better to be done in prolog? Is it possible to do 
this in logic programming (no clp)? Is it possible to be done in 5-6mths 
time? By the way, I've a very basic understanding on Prolog. May I know how 
can I get started?

Thank you.
C S Lim

______________________________________________________
Get Your Private, Free Email at http://www.hotmail.com