Subject: Problem Building SWI Prolog on HPUX -- Second Request

From: "Jeff Hinds" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Apr 2000 07:38:14 -0500

I am attempting to build the SWI-Prolog package on a HPUX 11.00 system and I
have had problems. Once the C programs are compiled and linked, the
resulting pl program is called to continue the build step. The bootstrap
step is completed, however the next operation that calls the pl program (the
second call to the pl program in the makefile process) the program reports a
fatal error, can not load the pl.prc resource file. I look in the directory
structure, and pl.prc exists in the current directory. I copy the file to
the home directory and restart the make process and I still get the same
error at the same step.

The odd part of this process is that  I can start the pl program using
different options, such as ./pl -help, or ./pl -version, or ./pl -arch, and
get the expected results. I can also start the pl program using the
following command:
    ./pl -O -o pl.prc -b ../boot/init.pl

and the process will create the pl.prc file and report the following
information:

Loading boot file ...
Loading Prolog startup files
%  messages boot compiled into $messages 0.06 sec, 48,568 bytes
%  toplevel boot compiled into $toplevel 0.03 sec, 30,252 bytes
%  listing boot compiled into $listing 0.01 sec, 14,596 bytes
%  make boot compiled into $make 0.00 sec, 2,896 bytes
%  sort boot compiled into $sort 0.01 sec, 7,584 bytes
%  bags boot compiled into $bags 0.01 sec, 3,064 bytes
%  apply boot compiled into $apply 0.00 sec, 2,740 bytes
%  list boot compiled into $list 0.01 sec, 13,968 bytes
%  writef boot compiled into $writef 0.01 sec, 10,804 bytes
%  history boot compiled into $history 0.02 sec, 14,476 bytes
%  dwim boot compiled into $dwim 0.02 sec, 19,836 bytes
%  parms boot compiled into $parms 0.01 sec, 2,688 bytes
%  autoload boot compiled into $autoload 0.01 sec, 15,644 bytes
%  qlf boot compiled into $qlf 0.00 sec, 3,656 bytes
%  rc boot compiled into $rc 0.00 sec, 3,672 bytes
%  topvars boot compiled into toplevel_variables 0.01 sec, 8,456 bytes
% /users/oit/jhinds/work/pl-3.3.4/boot/load.pl boot compiled 0.26 sec,
245,660 bytes
SWI-Prolog boot files loaded
Boot compilation has created pl.prc

Please keep in mind, I am new to prolog and to the SWI-Prolog program.
However, I do know that a make process is failing and that the pl
process/program is un-usable in its current form.

Has anyone run into this problem and how can I correct it.

The environment for the system is:
HPUX 11.00
The make process would not work with the HP ansi compiler so gcc version
2.95.2 was used to build the pl program.
PL-3.3.4 is the version I am attempting to build.

Thank You

--

Jeff Hinds - Senior Systems Analyst
Middle Tennessee State University      Email: [email-masked]
Office of Information Technology       Phone: (615) 898-5719
Cope Admin. Building - Room 001          Fax: (615) 898-5720
Murfreesboro, Tn 37129