Subject: Re: SWI Prolog 3.3.6 (MSVC troubles, new version)

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 May 2000 11:09:39 +0200

On Mon, 08 May 2000, Mike Elston wrote:
>Jan Wielemaker wrote:
>> 
>> On Mon, 08 May 2000, Mike Elston wrote:
>> >Hi Jan, I have no trouble with installing 3.3.4 for NT, but when I tried
>> >3.3.6 (downloaded 5-May-2000) I got the following error when trying to
>> >link against libpl:
>> >
>> >        link  /dll /OUT:.\bin\socket.dll .\src\prolog\socket.obj
>> >ws2_32.lib mswsock.lib                    \SWI\pl\LIB\LIBPL.LIB
>> >Microsoft (R) 32-Bit Incremental Linker Version 5.00.7022
>> >Copyright (C) Microsoft Corp 1992-1997. All rights reserved.
>> >
>> >\SWI\pl\LIB\LIBPL.LIB : fatal error LNK1106: invalid file or disk full:
>> >cannot seek to 0x390f2de8
>> >NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'link' : return code '0xc'
>> >Stop.
>> 
>> First of all, check the disk-full.  If that fails it will be the invalid
>> file, which might be caused by the fact that 3.3.6 is compiled with
>> MSVC 6.0 rather then 5.0.  I've got no other complaints sofar though.
>
>Yes, I've checked the disk space and there is plenty free (411Mb) and as
>I mentioned, reverting to the previous version (3.3.4) solved the
>problem.
>
>>I've got no other complaints sofar though.
>Has anybody tried to build a DLL against \SWI\pl\LIB\LIBPL.LIB?  Is
>there any other information I can provide to help sort this out?

It clearly is a problem though.  You cannot use MSVC 6.0 .lib files with
MSVC 5.0.  I decided to switch back to 5.0 for main compiler.  Please
find a new w32pl336.exe compiled with MSVC 5.0.  It has the get_char/2
end-of-file patch in it, otherwise it is equivalent to the previous
version.

	Regards --- Jan