Subject: problems with 3.3.8 on alpha-osf4.0

From: David Starks-Browning <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2000 17:31:33 +0100

Greetings,

I am attempting to build SWI-Prolog 3.3.8 on a number of platforms for
colleagues here.  I am not a Prolog programmer myself, so please
forgive my lack of understanding of the Prolog system architecture.

I've briefly perused the mailing list archive, but didn't come across
any other reports of problems like mine.  (Jan, could the list archive be
made searchable?)

I am building for

	alpha-osf4.0
	i686-linux
	mips-irix6.5
	sparc-solaris2.7

with gcc-2.95.2 and readline-4.1.  There are no apparent problems with
i686-linux, mips-irix6.5 or sparc-solaris2.7.  (But a test suite might
be useful here.)

With alpha-osf4.0, I can run 'pl -v' and 'pl -dump-runtime-variables'
without error:

    starksb@mozart$ pl -v  
    SWI-Prolog version 3.3.8 for alpha-osf4.0
    
    starksb@mozart$ pl -dump-runtime-variables
    CC="gcc";
    PLBASE="/sw/common/lib/pl-3.3.8";
    PLARCH="alpha-osf4.0";
    PLLIBS="-lreadline -lcurses -lm ";
    PLLDFLAGS="-L/sw/common/arch/alpha-osf1/lib -Wl,-rpath,/sw/common/arch/alpha-osf1/lib";
    PLVERSION="30308";
    PLSHARED="yes";
    PLTHREADS="no";

But if I simply start the interpreter(?) interactively, I get:

    starksb@mozart$ pl
    Unaligned access pid=15010 <pl> va=0x11ffff06a pc=0x12007c250 ra=0x12007c2f0 inst=0x9d420000
    Unaligned access pid=15010 <pl> va=0x11ffff073 pc=0x12007c250 ra=0x12007c2f0 inst=0x9d420000
    [FATAL ERROR:
    	    Saved state has incompatible (32) word-length]

Note that all 4 architectures share the same
PLBASE="/sw/common/lib/pl-3.3.8", even though $PLBASE/boot.prc is a
binary file.  This isn't somehow platform specific, say in word length
or byte ordering?  The copy used by alpha-osf4.0 would have been
generated by another architecture.  (Whichever was the last to run
'make install' -- sparc-solaris2.7, in this case.)

Naturally I can produce detailed build logs upon request.

Thanks very much, any help would be appreciated!

Kind regards,
David

 -------------------------------------------------------------------
  David Starks-Browning                  | [email-masked]
  EMBL Outstation --                     |
  The European Bioinformatics Institute  |
  Wellcome Trust Genome Campus           | tel: +44 (1223) 494 616
  Hinxton, Cambridge, CB10 1SD, UK       | fax: +44 (1223) 494 468
 -------------------------------------------------------------------