Subject: Announce SWI-Prolog 3.4.0

From: Jan Wielemaker <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Sep 2000 12:03:51 +0200

Hi,

I've uploaded SWI-Prolog 3.4.0 to the usual places.  This release should
be considered a consolidation of functionality and compatibility
introduced with 3.3.x.  I decided for a new minor version number because
select/3 has been changed to be compatible with what the rest of the
world uses:
	
	select(Element, List, Rest)

If you have programs using select/3 you have to update them.  Most
Unix users will know grep is the tool to find these spots quickly.

There is also a library called checkselect.pl that can be loaded to make
Prolog warn when compiling calls to select/3 and trap the tracer on
executing dubious calls to select/3.

XPCE users should upgrade to 5.0.9, which has its libraries fixed
(any many more goodies, check the XPCE mailing list and ChangeLog).

The SGML package is also vulnerable to the select/3 change.  The new
version (1.0.10) fixes this.

	--- Jan