Subject: a way to connect in the rural areas

From: [email-masked] (Dean Hughson)
Date: 13 Apr 1994 15:28:52 GMT

For some of you out there, you may remember that I have been working on
rural access to internet for libraries and schools.  I have recently
discovered an economical way to receive usenet/internet email feeds and am
sharing it with others who may want to explore it as a way to give internet
services to your users.

Page-Sat Inc. 992 San Antonio Road, Palo Alto, Ca 94303, telephone
415-424-0384, fax 415-424-0405, email  [email-masked]         
Person I talk to is Duane Dubay

The PageSat company has devised a satellite dish system with software,
including windows based or dos, which will allow you to get total usenet
feeds plus internet email.  The cost for the equipment and the first years
service is $1055 until May 15, 1994.  After the first years service, it
costs $30/month for the feeds.  It is also possible to get all of the
fidonet feeds.  They are also devising a way for you to do the replies,etc.
back through their system by dial up---other wise you can just use a service
like delphi/cris,etc. and forward the mailbox there to your PageSat domain.
Most of these systems have been sold to BBS's but after I learned about it I
ordered one so that my town of 886 people will have economical ways to
access the information.

Why I am excited about this system is that it offers rural communities, like
mine, to get the usenet feeds and email and you even set up your own domain.
 It would be possible for you to offer email addresses to all of your local
people for free.

With telephone long distance charges being a major problem for most small
town schools and libraries I am very excited about the possibility of these
advances in technology.  Our job as small town volunteers or library/school
staff is to get the access to the information to our people.  I would be
happy to provide any information or help to others who would like to know
how to get internet access into their community, rural or not.

Dean Hughson, community volunteer
101 S. Main
Braymer Mo 64624
Telephone 816-645-2155
fax 816-645-2198
internet    [email-masked]