Subject: goats

From: [email-masked]
Date: 23 Mar 1994 03:31:15 GMT

hello
alright, forget about boer goats.
i WOULD like information on large scale goat ranching.. how many goats
per acre vs. cows, marketing, types, management..etc.

presently i raise a few goats selling the wethers for meat or brush,
the does for production or brush also. There is a good market
for butcher goats here, especially at this time of the year (easter).

the local ranches used to be all sheep, but there is no chance to make
a living with sheep now so they have all gone to cows. The ranches
are leased to the highest bidders on a per head fee, so i would like
to know the comparison with cows, sheep.  The land is steep valleys, lots
of brush and logged over pieces that are under utilized by the cows.

also, about buying a large amount of goats to start a production herd.
Does anyone know how I can contact goat ranchers for breeding
stock.

This is just a theory, a seed thought that I am researching, and any input woul
would be great. I presently run my goats on 1200 acres that was sheep, m
now is slowly changing over to cows. The rancher loves having the goats
learas they really cj
as they really clear out the brush, poison oak, thistles, etc. however
there is no chance to develop a full scale operation here.
again, any help would be greatly appreciated.
sarah
(not edward)