Subject: Llama Faq 1

From: [email-masked] (Camelid)
Date: 26 Mar 1994 02:48:02 -0500

LLAMA FACT SHEET

Background Basics
 
  Llamas are members of the camel (camelid) family.  Camelids originated 
  on the central plains of North America where they lived 40 million 
  years ago.  Three million years ago llama-like animals dispersed to 
  South America.  By the end of the last ice age (10,000-12,000 years 
  ago) camelids were extinct in North America.  Llamas were domesticated 
  from guanacos in the Andean highlands of Peru 4,000-5,000 years ago 
  and are among the oldest domestic animals in the world.  Primarily a 
  beast of burden, they provided native herdsmen with meat, wool for 
  clothing, hide for shelter, pellets for fuel and offerings to their 
  gods.  Today there are an estimated 50,000 llamas in the United 
  States and Canada.

Physical Facts

Life span:          About 20 years
Average height:     45" at shoulder, 5-6' at the head
Average weight:     250-400 lbs.
Average gestation:  350 days

Birth:  A single baby (cria) is normally born, without assistance, 
        from a standing mother during daylight hours.  Twinning is rare.

Babies:  Average birth weight is 18-35 lbs.  Babies are normally up and 
         nursing within 90 minutes.  They are weaned at about 5-6 months.

Reproduction:  Females are first bred at 14-18 months of age.  Llamas do 
               not have a heat cycle but are induced ovulators (ovulation 
               occurs 24-36 hours after breeding).  Thus they can be bred 
               at any time of the year. 
 
Color:  Wool ranges from white to black, with shades of gray, beige, 
        brown, red and roan between.  It may be solid, spotted or marked 
        in an array of patterns.

Health:  Because llamas and their ancestors are specially suited to the 
         harsh environment of their Andean homeland, North American 
         owners will find them remarkably hardy, healthy, easy to care 
         for and virtually disease-free.
   Llamas are environmentally sensitive, intelligent creatures.  Their feet, 
comprised of soft pads with 2 toenails, impact the environment less than 
the boots of an average hiker, yet llamas are strong.  A conditioned 
llama can carry approximately 25% to 30% of its body weight, making a 
llama as strong, if not stronger, than a horse.
   Llamas are great working partners and family pets.  They have predictable, 
calm responses to new situations.  Llamas are trustworthy.  Their 
intelligent, gentle nature allows even small children to interact with 
them.  The fiber of llamas can be spun and woven into sweaters, blankets, 
hats and the like.  Llamas are used in animal facilitative therapy because 
of their calming effects.  Families can get involved with llamas in 4-H, 
Scouts and other youth groups.
   Llamas make excellent guardian animals for sheep herds. They have similar
dietary requirements and will defend the herd from many types of predatory
animals.
   Llamas have discrete bathroom habits.  Their pelleted droppings, similar 
to a deer, are virtually odorless and are generally deposited in the 
communal dung pile.  This neatness minimizes parasite contamination, 
reduces fly problems and makes cleanup easier for the owner.  A llama's 
effective digestive system also helps to eliminate introduction of 
noxious weeds into the environment. These pellets also make a superb
fertilizer for home and garden.