Subject: neighbors security light

From: [email-masked] (lydia middendorf )
Date: 12 Apr 1994 09:06:41 GMT

Is there anything I can do?  I live on the side of a hill
	. I recently got a new neightbor... on the hill
	across from me. (about 1/2 mile on foot about 1/4 mile as
	the crow flys.) Last saturday they put up a street light
	for a security light. This light is BRIGHT! It actually
	casts shadows in my living room. Looking off my front
	porch looks like you are looking into a car, at a distance, with it's
	brights on. Night veiwing of meteor storms is hindered, so is the
	use of my telescope. None of the neighbors on my hill have
	"security" lights- we aall figure it just lets people that
	normally would not know you were there, know you are there. But
	the light is only affecting me. Alas, my enighbors on this hill
	will not be helpful.

	My plan of action:

	write a letter to the people, introducing myself, and welcoming
	them to the area, tell the I am writing because I don;t think they
	realize how bright their light is.....blah blah blah......

	i have a feeling they are just going to tell me tough shit, because
	of the expense they have gone to to put it up.	I have no money to
	drag this to court (and probably would not win anyway as there are
	no laws against lighting up the universe)....I was going to
	send my letter registered, return recipt requested. If they
	tell me to get screwed then I was going to get a lawyer to write them a
	letter.....unfortuantly, this is as far as I would be able
	to take it.

	Any suggestions? Anyone had this problem before? How did you handle
	it? Is it pointless to have a lawyer write a letter?

	Should I just write a letter first, and if I get no response send
	it registered?

	I would just go over and speak to them first, but they don't live there,
	there is no house. Nothing, just a security light. (I imagine they
	are going to build)....I will need  to find out who these
	people are and where to write them.  Please don't tell me to
	keep my blinds closed, I feel I should be able to enjoy the
	night. After all, I did not build my house with it poining at
	their light, they put their light shining into my house.

	Regards;
	[email-masked]

---

From: [email-masked] (Charlie Johnston)
Date: 12 Apr 1994 11:42:03 GMT

In article <[email-masked]>, [email-masked]
(lydia middendorf ) wrote:

(parts deleted)

> 	I recently got a new neightbor....they put up a street light
> 	casts shadows in my living room. 
> 	are going to build)....

It's hard to say without knowing more specific info (see questions below)
but I would definitely try to avoid the gonna-get-lawyers-involved
approach.  Whoever these folks are they are going to be new to this locale,
hence looking for "friendly neighbors".  Once construction commences, you
might "happen by" and ease into discussing the light (after mentioning the
star viewing, etc) - although I realize it can be *extremely* annoying in
the meantime.  If you *have* to do something *now* maybe a politely worded
note taped to the light pole would be a start.  Another idea might be to
invite them down, either directly or 'socially', *at night* where they can
see their light pollution first-hand.  They probably don't
realize...although they may not care.

Several questions...

Is the light going to be a permanent fixture or is it just for
construction-site security (ie. temporary)?

Is the light shining in *your* direction necessary for *their*
illumination, ie. would a partial shield over the light be a possible
solution?

...charlie