Subject: Re: Phone line extender (radios)

From: [email-masked] (Jack Decker)
Date: 21 Mar 1994 19:30:41 GMT

In a previous article, [email-masked] (David Butler) says:

>I really do not understand what I have here.  We used them as a
>17 mile phone line extender before we got copper lines to the
>mountain-top property we now live on.
>
>The manual calls it a "Model RR-455 Repeater Plus/UHF-FM Repeater"
>  sn 23231 Model RTSU-1
>  sn 23566 Model RTLT-1
>  They are Xtal controlled
>  Ritron's fone number is (317) 846-1201.
>  We bot them new in 1990
>  I have a "Maintenance & Operating Manual"
>	with logic, pcb layout and parts lists included.
>	There are several pages on the theory of operation
>	of the unit.
>  One radio was always used w/AC power, the other radio
>	was always used on a 12volt battery.  
>
>There are two parts to each unit, the main radio with integral
>Duplexer, and a Ritron phone patch: a little box which we plugged the
>telephone; one box for the telco's line, and 17 miles away the
>other box for the instrument.
>
>It is full duplex, and was transparent to use... it was truly just
>a very long telephone line extender, we could make or receive calls.
>
>$750 w/ antenns,  $500 w/o
>
>David Butler (707) 895-2050
>[email-masked]

Sorry for the long quote, but I have expanded the distribution of this
thread to include comp.dcom.telecom.tech, where you are more likely to
get a response (the original article was posted to misc.rural only).

What I am wondering is, did you personally have control over both ends
of this device?  In other words, I can understand if one end was located
on the mountain and the other at the serving telephone company, but if
you actually had both units, where was each one located?  Also, did you
have to obtain a license from the Federal Communications Commission in
order to use these, and if so, what band or class of service were you
licensed to use?

I'm not in the market to buy these units, you understand, but I am always
interested in keeping abreast of developments in wireless telephony, and
this is something I've never heard of before, so my curiosity is piqued.

(Note to comp.dcom.telecom.tech readers:  If you reply to this message via
e-mail rather than in the newsgroups, you might want to send a copy to the
original poster ([email-masked]).  If you just e-mail the info to me, he
won't get a copy.)

Jack

Jack Decker   |   "What were once options are now mandates!"
[email-masked]  (note that's an "o", not a zero!)
Please note:  Some days I get lots of e-mail.  On such days, I read it
all, but don't personally respond to all of it due to lack of time.