Subject: Native plants that attract wildlife

From: [email-masked] (Sullys Maze)
Date: 15 Mar 1994 09:04:42 -0800

Okay, here I will post some information that may be useful. This is
mostly applicable to Calif.

         NATIVE PLANTS THAT PROVIDE WILDLIFE HABITAT

Unless mentioned otherwise, the following lists are regarding the
value of the seed, fruit or berry of the plant mentioned
When Hummingbirds are mentioned, its the flower that has the nectar

TREES

Acer macrophyllum BIG-LEAF MAPLE Goldfinches, Bees, Raccoons
Aesculus californica CALIFORNICA BUCKEYE Hummingbirds
Alnus rhoombifolia WHITE ALDER Warblers, Goldfinches, Pine Siskins
  Cedar Waxwings
Cornus nuttallii PACIFIC DOGWOOD Western Tanagers, Warblers, robins,
  Thrushes, Woodpeckers, Tree Swallows, many others
Cupressus Governiana GOWEN'S CYPRESS Thrushes, Mockingbirds, Pigeons
  Opossums, Coyotes
Juglans Hindsii BLACK WALNUT Jays, Pigeons, Squirrels
Lithocarpus densiflora TANBARK OAK Jays, Meadowlarks, Pheasants,
  Pigeons, Titmice, Thrashers, Quail, Woodpeckers, Rabbits, Raccoons
  Squirrels, Mice, Foxes
Pinus attenuata KNOBCONE PINE Chickadees, Doves, Finches, Jays,
  Sparrows, Rabbits, Squirrels
Platanus racemosa CALIFORNIA SYCAMORE Goldfinches, Cedar Waxwings,
  House, Purple finches, Pine Siskins, Red-Tailed Hawks, Woodpeckers
Populus fremontii FREMONT'S COTTONWOOD Foxes, Squirrels, Mice
Populus tremuloides QUAKING ASPEN Rabbits, Deer, Grouse, Opossum
Populus trichocarpa BLACK COTTONWOOD same, hairs on seeds used in
 nesting materials
Pseudotsuga menziesii DOUGLAS FIR Deer, Squirrels, Woodrats
Quercus OAKS All species of oaks valuable to: Mallard, Clapper rails
  Wooducks, Pheasants, Jays, Pigeons, Finches, Quail, Thrushes
  Chickadees, Towhees, Grosbeaks, Nuthatches, Raccoons, Foxes
  Also provide shelter, nesting sites and many insects for birds
Sequoia sempervirens COAST REDWOOD Jays, Pigeons, Wrens, Chickadees
Torreya californica CALIFORNIA NUTMEG Squirrels

SHRUBS

Adenostoma fasciculatum CHAMISE Bees, Goldfinches, Grosbeaks,
  Raccoons, Deer, Woodrats, Mice
Amelancher pallida SERVICE BERRY Thrushes, other birds and mammals
Arctostaphylos MANZANITA Excellent for Quail, Doves, Mockingbirds
  Robins, Thrushes, Cedar Waxwings, Grosbeaks, Finches, Towhees,
  Sparrows, Raccons, Skunks, Squirrels, Coyotes, Deer, Hummingbirds
Atriplex lentiformis QUAIL BUSH Quail, Finches, Towhees, Sparrows,
  Rabbits.  Good shelter
Baccharis pilularis COYOTE BRUSH Deer, Butterflies
Berberis nevinii NEVIN'S BARBERRY Quail, Doves, Mockingbirds,
   Robins, Thrushes, Cedar Waswings, Grosbeaks, Finches, Towhees,
   Sparrows Thrashers.  Also good shelter
Calycanthus occidentalis SPICE BUSH Robins, Thrushes, Pheasants
Ceanothus WILD LILAC Quail, Hummingbirds, Bush-Tits, Mockingbirds,ds
  Thrashers, Thrushes, Warblers, Grosbeaks, Finches, Juncos,
  Rabbits, Squirrels, Bees, Butterflies, Hummingbirds
Clematis lasiantha and ligustifolia Hummingbirds
Cercis occidentalis REDBUD Goldfinches and Hummingbirds
Cornus stolonifera CREEK DOGWOOD Mockingbirds, Sparrows, Mourning
  Doves, Cedar Waxwings, Woodpeckers, Pigeons, Raccoons, Deer
Diplacus aurantiacus ORANGE MONKEYFLOWER Hummingbirds
Diplacus puniceus RED BUSH MONKEYFLOWER same
Diplacus longiflorus SOUTHERN MONKEYFLOWER same
Eriogonum fasciculatum CALIFORNIA BUCKWHEAT Oregon Juncos, Towhees,
  Squirrels, Bees, Butterflies
Galvezia speciosa ISLAND SNAPDRAGON Hummingbirds
Gaultheria shallon SALAL Thrashers, Chickadees, Thrushes, Finches
Heteromeles arbutifolia TOYON Cedar Waxwing, Towhees, Quail,
  Mourning Doves, Wrentits, Finches, Robins, Pigeons, Western
  Bluebirds
Isomeris arborea BLADDERPOD Hummingbirds
Lonicera hispidula CALIFORNIA HONEYSUCKLE Finches, Hermit Thrushes,
  Rabbits, Hummingbirds
Lonicera interrupta same
Lonicera involucrata TWINBERRY same
Lupinus albifrons SILVER LUPINE Quail, Squirrels
Mahonia aquifolium OREGON GRAPE Cedar Waxwings, Robins, Pheasants
  Mockingbirds, Finches, Deer.  Good shelter
Myrica californica CALIFORNIA WAX MYRTLE Cedar Waxwings, Chickadees,
  Towhees, Orioles, Wrentits, Warblers
Osmoronia cerasiformis OSO BERRY Mockingbirds, Pigeons
Prunus ilicifolia HOLLYLEAF CHERRY birds, small mammals and deer
Quercus durata LEATHER OAK same
Rhamnus californica CALIFORNICA COFFEEBERRY Pigeons, Jays, Robins,
  Mockingbirds, Thrashers, Cedar Waxwings, Purple Finches
Rhamnus crocea REDBERRY same
Rhamnus ilicifolia HOLLYLEAF REDBERRY same, plus Quail
Rhus integrifolia LEMONADE BERRY Quail, Flickers, Finches, Pheasants
  Juncos, Jays, Mockingbirds, Robins, Thrushes, Finches, Grosbeaks
  Catbirds, Chickadees, Towhees
Rhus ovata SUGARBUSH same
Ribes aureum GOLDEN CURRANT Many birds eat berries, hummingbirds
Ribes californicum CALIFORNICA CURRANT same
Ribes malvaceum CHAPPARAL CURRANT hummingbirds
Ribes menziesii Quail, Thrashers, Robins, Thrushes, Finches, Towhees
Ribes sanguineum RED FLOWERED CURRENT Hummingbirds
Ribes speciosum FUCHSIA FLOWERED GOOSEBERRY same
Rosa californica CALIFORNICA ROSE Pine Siskins. Goldfinches, Quail,
  Thrushes, Pheasants, Raccoons, good nesting sites
Rubus vitifolius WESTERN BLACKBERRY good for fruit and cover
Salix WILLOW Warblers, Thrushes, Fox sparrows, Finches
Salvia clevelandii CLEVELANDS SAGE Hummingbirds, Sparrows
Salvia leucophylla PURPLE SAGE same
Salvia mellifera BLACK SAGE same, also bees and finches
Salvia sonomensis CREEPING SAGE same
Sambucus glauca CALIFORNICA ELDERBERRY Pigeons, Wren-Tits, Mock-
  ingibrds, Finches, Towhees, Robins, Deer
Symphoricarpos albus  SNOWBERRY Hummingibrds, Mockingbirds, Towhees
  Finches, Grosbeaks, Cedar Waxwings, Deer.  Good cover
Trichostemma lanatum WOOLY BLUE CURLS Hummingbirds
Vaccinum ovatum HUCKLEBERRY Pigeons, Mourning Doves, Foxes, Raccoons
  Opossum, Rabbits, Deer
Vitus californica CALIFORNICA WILD GRAPE all birds

PERENNIALS

Aquilegia formosa WESTERN COLUMBINE Hummingbirds, seeds eaten
  by small birds
Aquilegia exima same
Cynoglossum grande WESTERN HOUNDS TOUNGE Hummingbirds
Delphinium cardinale SCARLET LARKSPUR Hummingbirds, Finches
Delphinium nudicale same
Eriogonum species BUCKWHEATS Butterflies, bees
Fragaria californica BEACH STRAWBERRY berries good food source
Heuchera maxima ISLAND ALUM ROOT Hummingbirds
Heuchera macrantha ALUM ROOT same
Iris species seeds eaten by birds
Keckiella corymbosa BUSH PENSTEMON Hummingbirds
Keckiella cordifolia HEARTLEAF PENSTEMON same
Keckiella ternatus SAME
Mimulus cardinalis SCARLET MONKEYFLOWER Hummingbirds
Monardella macrantha MOUNTAIN PENNYROYAL Hummingbirds
Monardella villosa COYOTE MINT Hummingbirds
Penstemon centranthifolious, P. labrosus, P. newberryi, P. barbatus,
  P. clevelandii  Hummingbirds
P. heterophyllus, P. spectablis, P. speciosus, etc. Penstemon seed
  eaten by small birds
Satureja mimuloides Hummingbirds
Wyethia helenoides GRAY MULE EARS seed good for birds and mammals
Zauschineria californica CALIFORNICA FUCHSIA Hummingbirds

For more information contact Karen Sullivan at 279-2868