Subject: Re: Help me to prepare Kimji, Korean pickled cabage

From: [email-masked] (Bob Engelbardt)
Date: Sat, 27 Jan 1996 03:18:53 GMT

[email-masked] (LI LU) wrote:

>Hi, there.
>I'd like to learn to prepare Kimji, a Korean spicy pickled cabages. 
>Please tell me the recipe. Thanks.

This recipe came from "How to Make it in Korea" published in Korea by
the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints, Korea Mission

3 heads Chinese cabbage (preferred) or head cabbage 
14 large cloves of garlic, crushed with heel of a knife and chopped
10-15 green onions cut into two inch lengths
About 4 inches of fresh ginger peeled, crushed and chopped
4 Tablespoons sugar
1 tsp. MSG
3 Tablespoons regular salt or 1/4 cup course salt 
3/4 cup red pepper powder (not chile powder or cayenne pepper. Look
for this at an Asian market)
1 cup non-chlorinated water mixed with 1 tsp. regular salt or 2 tsp.
course salt

Wash cabbage well in non-chlorinated water (chlorinated water will
inhibit fermentation). Cut into pieces about 2 inches square.  In a
large pan, layer cabbage with generous amount of salt to draw out the
moisture and wilt the cabbage.  Set out overnight or until the cabbage
is well wilted.  (Head cabbage may take longer than Chinese cabbage).
Wash cabbage in non-chlorinated water to remove salt (at least three
changes of water). Drain.

Combine garlic, green onion, ginger, sugar, MSG, 3 Tablespoons salt
and the red pepper powder with cabbage using your hands to rub the
flavorings into the cabbage.  Pack mixture into non-metal container.
Rinse the mixing bowl or pan with the cup of salted water and pour
over packed cabbage.  Cover tightly and let ferment at room
temperature for about 4 days, then refrigerate for three more days of
ferrmentation before eating.

Bob Engelbardt
Kailua, Hawaii
[email-masked]